Thread: Henry Shawers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen Norfolk L-M20's Avatar

Default Henry Shawers

Born circa 1828. Lived in London and Southern England during 1850s - 1870s. A narrow weaver of lace trimmings and fringes. I believe that he was born on the European Continent, and that his name was anglicised.

Any help - any, would be so wonderful, I've taken this as far as I can for now.

All my evidence on a time line so far here:

https://paulbrooker.posthaven.com/he...of-an-ancestor

I'd so love to find something more about his origin, and any evidence of any sort.

Knowledgeable and helpful

In case you don't know, there are parts of 1861 census for London which are missing, which may be why you haven't been able to find him. Have you tried searching by age and birthplace ( France, then Switzerland) and possibly Henry as first name to see what possibilities come up? pwholt

jacval

I think this could be the family you are searching for in 1861-Indexed as SORUHES on Ancestry.

1861 cens. Sun Row, Islington St Mary, Middlesex RG9/144 folio63 page33

Henry 33 trimming maker Switzerland
    Eliz P 26 Oxfordshire
    Rose 2 Dalton
    Henry 1 Dalton

capsmum

There's a Henry Shawers b 1828 lace weaver convicted 31 October 1862, for begging, conviction place Wandsworth, try the National Archives for info. Also a Henry Shawers marriage 1857 Bethnal Green to either Mary Ann Thompson or Elizabeth Dunam(?) sorry, can't read my own writing !

Quote Originally Posted by jacval View Post
    I think this could be the family you are searching for in 1861-Indexed as SORUHES on Ancestry.

1861 cens. Sun Row, Islington St Mary, Middlesex RG9/144 folio63 page33

Henry 33 trimming maker Switzerland
    Eliz P 26 Oxfordshire
    Rose 2 Dalton
    Henry 1 Dalton
    Wow wow wow! you have found them for me! I can't tell you how brilliant that is!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You indicate that in 1871 Elizabeth and daughter Rosa are living in Lansdowne Road Greenwich

Their daughter Elizabeth Rosina Shawers is known as Rosa Hayes, age 7. She is living alone with her mother at the above address.

Elizabeth Rosina was b c1859 Dalston London.
    The one recorded in the 1871 census is Rosa (Ann) aged 7 ( b1864) Charlton Kent, following her thru she appears to marry Maurice K Coltherup

Mother Elizabeth is shown as b 1833 Banbury in the 1871 entry Your Elizabeth was b 1835 Deddington approx 6 miles apart
    This Elizabeth Hayes is on the 1881 census RG11; Piece: 1140; Folio: 66; Page: 41 and dies 1884 Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    You indicate that in 1871 Elizabeth and daughter Rosa are living in Lansdowne Road Greenwich

Their daughter Elizabeth Rosina Shawers is known as Rosa Hayes, age 7. She is living alone with her mother at the above address.

Elizabeth Rosina was b c1859 Dalston London.
    The one recorded in the 1871 census is Rosa (Ann) aged 7 ( b1864) Charlton Kent, following her thru she appears to marry Maurice K Coltherup

Mother Elizabeth is shown as b 1833 Banbury in the 1871 entry Your Elizabeth was b 1835 Deddington approx 6 miles apart
    This Elizabeth Hayes is on the 1881 census RG11; Piece: 1140; Folio: 66; Page: 41 and dies 1884 Hampshire
    I agree, Geneius. I was just about to post the same and saw you had posted.

So I believe Elizabeth and Rosina are still missing in 1871.
    Alma

Thank you all for your help. It was late last night when I saw @jacval post the 1861 census. It confirms his birth place as Switzerland, and suggests that it was he that was convicted in 1873 for being drunk on the highway (Henry Sayers). I was so pleased to finally see my 3 x great grandfather on a census.

Thank you @geneus and @almach for correcting my goof. That is excellent. I made the mistake, because Elizabeth Shawers (nee Durran) was certainly calling herself Elizabeth Hayes in 1881, when she and her daughter (recorded as Rosa S Hayes age 22 born Dalston) were working in the Blandy household as house servants. She later lived with my great great grandparents as "Elizabeth Hayes", and died as Elizabeth Hayes. I can see where I went wrong with the 1871 entry, and I'm in absolute respect of your skills in spotting it.

I've corrected my evidence, and their timeline here:

https://paulbrooker.posthaven.com/he...of-an-ancestor

It feels a little bit like cheating, but your opinions on here have been magnificent for helping me better understand this family. Both the 1861 census entry, and the error in identification on the 1871 census.

I'd appreciate forum members contributing to anything else that they can spot from the timeline, and any advice (I know this is British-Genealogy, but this is the first non-English line that I have detected after plenty of years of on-off research) with regards to Swiss genealogy, seeing as 1) I have a clearly anglised name SHAWERS or SOHURES, and 2) no Canon. Not even any good evidence of first language. Although he could be the Monsieur Shawers that arrived from Boulogne, France in 1852. Pre-Anglo suggestions for his surname so far include: Soruhes, Schwarz, Schwares, Shaers, Schoovers, Chouart, Scherrais, Shavier, Cerrier, or Soyers.

Here is the link to Cyndi's List which has a list of sources and their links for many countries, this page is Switzerland.
    You can spend many a long hour using all the surname variants on the familysearch.org site
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs