Thread: Hello

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello

John Goodfellow. I've been researching for a few years using F.T.M. on Ancestry.com. I live in Stoke on Trent & retired 6 years ago, (Enjoying every second). 16 years in the Army & made redundant in 1981. Made lots of mistakes researching the wrong records, (Mostly corrected). Hoping to learn from the many researchers on here.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    Making mistakes with our family research is something I think we have all done to some degree. This is why you will find our very helpful and knowledgeable members stress the purchase of BMD certificates (after 1837) to be sure the correct branch is being travelled.
    If you need help now, just pick a suitable forum, tell us all you know about the ancestor(s) causing you trouble and it won't be too long before the sleuths get to work.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Christina, My main problem is with my paternal G'grandfather , who was sent to Australia around 1896-7. I know he got married again out there & there are a few family trees on Ancestry who probably have his descendants in them, but I think they are keeping their trees private, because there are no links to any of them. I have another maternal G' uncle who was also transported in the 1700's & no clues. I think that this year I'll cough up the extra money to view the worldwide records of Ancestry & see how I go on. John.

Hi John and welcome to Brit - Gen forums As Christina said, choose a suitable forum for your queries, give us names and year of birth and anything else you know of your ancestors, and members here will try to help (they have a good success rate )
    Alma