Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help needed for a name to a number please

I have found a service medal amongst my late mother's belongings. It is engraved with number 5997 Pte F......IR Fus but I cannot read name. Can anyone help or point me in right direction please. Thanks

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    First thoughts, Irish Fusiliers for the regiment.

Thank you, do you know of any site I could contact to get a name from the service number everything I have found so far relies on you knowing a surname

There are 56 men with that number on the WW1 medal index cards (numbering for much of WW1 wasn't over-organised). Only 2 have "Irish" at the start of their regimental name:

Pte RJ McHaffey North Irish Horse (when he was 627) and the Royal Irish Rifles (when he was 5997).
    Pte Patrick Smith Irish Guards. Is that definitely a F, or could it be a damaged P?

6 men are listed as Fusiliers. None has an F as an initial - there's William, 2 Johns, Michael, Moiser and Joseph.

It's not going to be simple. I think we need to know which medal it is - can you post a photo of it (our system rejects pictures if it thinks they're too big). Failing that, what does it look like, does it still have its ribbon and if so, what does it look like?

PS I've just found a service record for someone who didn't pop up in my medal search - Pte Frederick Davis of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers... He seems to have led an "interesting"life!
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 22-07-2017 at 5:16 PM. Reason: extra chap found

Thank you for such quick and detailed responses. Here are the two photos. It does look on closer inspection that it is a P (or perhaps even an R) instead of an F .

My family names are: Stephenson, Bolshaw, Pattinson, and Dayson.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Can you also do a photo of the rim, with the naming, the spaces missing may give a clue to the name?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thank you for your offer of help. I will try and get a photograph in daylight and post tomorrow

Here are the photos. The final one is to show the distance between the two bits of text. Thanks again!

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi
    Well, the impressing looks like period, and it says 5997 Private F. ? Royal Irish Fusiliers.
    The problem is that there is no one with that number in the RIrF with a first initial F, cant find anything on National Archives (more accurate search engine than others), or ancestry
    Got him on Find My Past (and the long gap would fit his surname)-

First name(s)
    Frank

Last name
    Mcparland

Birth year

Birth town
    Markethill

Birth county
    Angus

Birth country
    Scotland

Service number

Regiment
    Royal Irish Fusiliers

Unit / Battalion
    3rd Battalion

Year

Residence county
    Armagh

Residence country
    Ireland

Series
    WO 363

Series description
    Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'

Archive
    The National Archives

Record set
    British Army Service Records

This is for his service record, which has service number of 48042, looks like 5997 was pre-war number, he joined in 1913, but obviously an error on the medal.
    Here is his MIC at NA - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D3876049 - wrong number 5907- no 2 people with the same name- 2 MIC's on Ancestry give the answer.
    Lots of records in his service record. They and the MIC will give you more answers.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

thewideeyedowl

Default Ancestry Free access till 24 July 2017

Hi Val, and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

You have started a really fascinating thread. Robert (simmo1) says that there are relevant records on Ancestry for the chap who is probably 'your' man. Well, you're in luck - there is currently free access to that site for military records. See this thread: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ht=free+access.

You've got until midnight tomorrow! Let us know what you find.

All the best

Owl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast