Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Birth Certificate Needed -Thomas F Hutchinson

Greetings everyone,

I am in need of help, my ancestor, Thomas Francis Hutchinson, "born" in Ireland around 1850, came to Port Elizabeth, South Africa from Ballyshannon (departed est 1871, arrived est 1876) , died 1906 Grahamstown, South Africa, married twice in South Africa, (1) Mary Ann Hutchinson (nee Green), (2) unknown.

- his birth certificate
    - His parents
    - what ship he came on

Any Assistance will be most appreciated.

God Bless

Pastor Michael Hutchinson

Attached link is the details I have so far on him and the descendants....
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzk...ew?usp=sharing

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi Michael

I cannot get the link to work sorry, but some initial research shows he died in 1909 not 1906 if I have the correct person. I have downloaded his death certificate/registration from family search and it says he was a compositor.

I see children's baptisms on family search and Mary Ann's death announcement in the Grahamstown newspaper transcriptions on EGGSA.

Various sites have information but of course not substantiated.

The South African Settlers Site has his mother as Bridget Mary Boyd and his father as William Hutchinson. She then marries John Blackwell. Her place of birth as Waterford Ireland. I know this is not a lot of good without sources but it might be worth seeing if there are any leads worth following up there.

Various sites have his second wife as Eleanor Jane Dicks.

Mrs P

Trying to work the wrong way round but there is a marriage on family search of a William Hutchinson and a Bridget Boyd, 1st June 1849 at Waterford. Civil Misc. records for Ireland.

In 1851 there is a family in Lancashire of a William Hutchinson, Bridget and son Thomas Francis. Both Bridget and child born Ireland and William born 1827 Easingwold. (family search transcription).

I lose them after that but William is a private in the 85th foot. I believe that regiment did go to Ireland and South Africa, so some of the information above does have some sources but I have not managed to link it to your chap.

Where did Thomas marry Mary Ann? does it give his father's name on the certificate?

I am wondering if his father was a soldier, met and married his mother in Ireland and then went to South Africa and that is how Thomas got there.

Mrs P

Knowledgeable and helpful

Birth certificates were only introduced in Ireland in 1864 so if Thomas was born in Ireland c 1850, you won’t get a birth certificate. You might find his baptism but to do that you would need to know where and when he was baptised. Plus his denomination.

Non RC marriages were recorded in the statutory registers from 1845 onwards (1864 for RC marriages). So the 1849 marriage was probably Church of Ireland (i.e. Anglican). If you order a copy of the certificate you should learn where the couple were living and what William’s occupation was. The reference is Waterford 1849 Volume 10, page 618. You can order a photocopy of the civil certificate from GRO Roscommon for €4 (euros). https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply...tificates.aspx

You have to download and print off the form. Then either post or fax it. You can’t e-mail your order to them. However if you want them to e-mail the cert to back to you, they will do that, so tick the relevant box.

Let me know the name of the parish or church where the marriage took place and I’ll advise what baptism records exist and where they are kept. In addition, if William was in the army, some regiments kept a record of births, deaths & marriages, so you sometimes can get information that way too.
    ELWYN

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    #extracted
    Hi Mrs Poppy,

I manage to source William and Bridget on Family Search, but not Thomas Francis Hutchinson, I get this error
    No records found for Name: Thomas Francis Hutchinson, Event: Birth, Event Range: 1845-1855, Father Name: William Hutchinson, Mother Name: Bridget Boyd, Country:Ireland
    Is there any ways you can send the links to be on michael @ HutchinsonPE .co .za (remove the spaces)

William is a private in the 85th foot
    I can't find any trace of this, can you send to me please.

Per my Late Father's book, which i do not have all his research to check on the facts,
    Our interest is in a young man, born in 1850, named Thomas Francis Hutchinson who came out to
    this country from a small town named Ballyshannon, situated on the banks of the River Erme, about
    10 miles south of the town of Donegal and 5 miles from the border, in the Republic of Ireland.
    Calculating from scant information, we believe Thomas came out to the Cape Colony from Ireland
    around the period 1866 to 1871.
    It is said that Thomas Francis, as a young man, had a passion for two things in his life, to fight, and to
    see the bottom of the jug, the latter, possibly developed through his association with the army. We
    understand that he settled in Grahamstown, commenced a career in the printing trade, and eventually
    went on to run his own Print shop in Grahamstown, and, at the same time, indulged his second
    passion, by joining the ‘Grahamstown First City Volunteer Rifles Regiment’. It was a passion that
    lasted all his life, as he was still active in the Regiment at the age of 54 years, when he wrote and
    published a brief history of the regiment.
    I need to atleast find the passenger list from Ireland to South Africa (Port Elizabeth) to see if THAT will show the parents....

Hi Michael

I will put some links to what I found and hope they work - moderators will remove any that they are not happy with but I am hoping these are all acceptable.

https://www.1820settlers.com/genealog...ame=HUTCHINSON

The above is an easy route to Thomas's death document on Family Search if you have not already got it. Just click on Albany and go to image 380 as instructed.

https://www.1820settlers.com/genealog...php?name=GREEN

The above is an easy route to Thomas's marriage to Mary Ann Green on Family Search, click on link then image 128. I cannot see a father's name.

https://www.southafricansettlers.com/?p=25460

The above takes you to the information regarding his parents and his family.

For the baptism images on family search of his children Thomas William and Charles Samuel just put Thomas Francis Hutchinson in the name and South Africa in the location - nothing else - less is more in this case.

Elwyn has given you all you need to obtain the marriage certificate for Bridget and William if you decide you want to follow that lead.

1851 census transcription on family search - they are in Fulwood, Lancashire

Page Number 18
    Registration Number HO107
    Piece/Folio 2268 / 598

William Hutchinson soldier private 85th regiment born Easingwold
    Bridget born Ireland
    Thomas born Ireland

I don't know if this is the right people but it looked very promising.

Mrs P

Transcription of Mary Ann's death announcement

https://www.eggsa.org/

Go to Newspaper Extracts type in Hutchinson in the search box - second hit down Grahamstown Journal 1877 - Mary Ann beloved wife etc...

There may not be surviving shipping records for the family or Thomas going to South Africa - would he have gone straight there or via America or another country.

Hope all this helps if you have any difficulty just say.

Mrs P