Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've not a lot of time now, but just wanted to add I see Emily and Benjamin Clark are in the same house as the Boswells in 1881, in Orchard Row, or is it Great Orchard Row, I can't remember, anyway it all seems to be falling into place, except we don't know who Fredrick's father is, maybe never will! I hope I have all the names right, I'm over tired and must get some sleep

Add to your thread if you are still searching for some info, I don't want to give information you'd like to seek out yourself, or have already found, but do want to help if I can.
    Alma

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Yes, I do agree, well done

Some summing up

1841, St Giles Camberwell, HO107; Piece: 1050; Book: 6; Folio: 40; Page: 26
    Charles Chicken 25
    Sarah Chicken 25
    Laurance (Louisa???) Chicken 3
    Emma Chicken 2

Sarah Checker 34, Camberwell
    Lucy Checker 11, Camberwell
    Emily Checker 9, Camberwell
    Mary Checker 5, Kenninton
    Hannah Checker 2, Lambeth
    Arthur Checker 2 Weeks, Camberwell

Baptisms
    Charles and Sarah Ann Checker of Providence Street had two daughters baptised on Dec 5th 1841 at St Peter, Walworth. 1) Emily born July 15th 1839; 2) Sarah Elizabeth born Nov 4th 1841.

St Mark Kennington, born 6th Jan 1845, bap. 2nd Feb 1845, Mary Ann Checker dau of Charles and Sarah Ann.

Walworth St Peter, May 26th 1850, Hannah dau of Charles (deceased) and Sarah Ann Checker, born January 6th 1849. Address Wyndham Road, Camberwell

Walworth St Peter, July 18th 1851, Arthur William son of Charles and Sarah Ann Checker, born March 21st 1851, address Portland St.

Also a Martha Elizabeth dau of Charles and Sarah Ann Checker born 1847, buried age 1, 18th Feb 1848 at St Mary Lambeth, address Thomas St.

Burial
    Name: Charles Checker, age 31
    Death 31 Oct 1848, Camberwell, England

Marriages
    Christ Church, Bermondsey, 24 Aug 1857
    A Louisa Checker, father Charles deceased, married Henry Mitchell venetian blind maker, father John deceased. Henry was full age, Louisa 20. Witnesses Robert and Mary Ann Nethercot.

Emmanuel Church Camberwell, December 24th 1871
    Emily Checker age 31, father Charles, married Benjamin Clark 32, carpenter, father Benjamin, both Emily and Benjamin of Great Orchard Row.

Emmanuel Church Camberwell, September 11th, 1871
    Mary Elizabeth Checker age 26, father Charles, John Bond age 26, labourer, father James, both Mary E and John of 8, Great Orchard Row, witnesses ?????? Bond and Emily Checker.

And thanks to Helachau for some of these records
    Thanks to everyone for this. This has been a brickwall for some time for me and you have really helped me not only to knock it down but to see how to do that too! I have had a similar scenario on another line with the woman giving her previous married name and then she must have said her fathers was Thomas and the registrar assumed it was the same surname as hers (understandably) and I think this is what may have happened here.

When asked his father's name, Frederick said Benjamin (now the husband of Emily), and the registrar assumed it was Checker, the same as Frederick's but it was Clark. At least now I can seek out Benjamin!! He has been a brickwall of mine too!

Thank you so very much. YOu are all amazing! Onwards and upwards!

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Don't know why but I always omit "Book No." when posting 1841 Census ref. I find it isn't necessary for searching FMP - does the same apply to A******y?

Baptism - Sarah Ann Kemish, 1 March 1815, place Camberwell, parents William and Harriot
    I did find it easier when I had the book number on Ancestry. Are you able to give me any guidelines for how I search a census as you have done for the future. I mean as is you found them under "Chicken"!! I do look around for any other spellings but would never have thought to look at chicken!

hunterterri58

Walworth St Peter, May 26th 1850, Hannah dau of Charles (deceased) and Sarah Ann Checker, born January 6th 1849. Address Wyndham Road, Camberwell

Walworth St Peter, July 18th 1851, Arthur William son of Charles and Sarah Ann Checker, born March 21st 1851, address Portland St.

Can I just clear this up please. I have the parish register entry showing Hannah with father deceased in May 1850 and yet Arthur is entered with father a Carpenter in July 1851???

HOw can this be? Especially as we have Charles as dying in Oct 1848!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterterri58 View Post
    Are you able to give me any guidelines for how I search a census as you have done for the future. I mean as is you found them under "Chicken"!! I do look around for any other spellings but would never have thought to look at chicken!
    Hi hunterterri, my tips - others may have more - use wildcards: for Checker for instance you could try ch*ke* or say for Stevenson which may be spelled Stephenson Ste*son. For Margaret try Mar* as often the census sheet has abbreviated to Marg which is sometimes indexed as Mary. And so on............in other words be inventive and think of all possibilities.

If I don't find who I'm looking for I try searching by first name only in the area I'd expect to find the elusive, this can be laborious but often does find the miss spelled or miss indexed names.
    Alma

Can I just clear this up please. I have the parish register entry showing Hannah with father deceased in May 1850 and yet Arthur is entered with father a Carpenter in July 1851???

HOw can this be? Especially as we have Charles as dying in Oct 1848!!!!
    I guess a little fibbing was in play - it happened, as some women found it easier to name a father rather than admit their child was illegitimate, and in city areas it is doubtful the officiating minister would know that the woman's husband was deceased.
    Alma

hunterterri58

Hi hunterterri, my tips - others may have more - use wildcards: for Checker for instance you could try ch*ke* or say for Stevenson which may be spelled Stephenson Ste*son. For Margaret try Mar* as often the census sheet has abbreviated to Marg which is sometimes indexed as Mary. And so on............in other words be inventive and think of all possibilities.

If I don't find who I'm looking for I try searching by first name only in the area I'd expect to find the elusive, this can be laborious but often does find the miss spelled or miss indexed names.
    thanks x

hunterterri58

I guess a little fibbing was in play - it happened, as some women found it easier to name a father rather than admit their child was illegitimate, and in city areas it is doubtful the officiating minister would know that the woman's husband was deceased.
    So we think then that she had a child by another man but named Charles as the father?

So we think then that she had a child by another man but named Charles as the father?
    It does seem to be the case.
    Alma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123