Thread: Kut Survivors

Default Kut Survivors

I recently discovered that my Grandfather (Jim Adams MM) was one of only 70 survivors from his regiment of the siege and subsequent forced march & imprisonment from Kut. He was a very brave man.
    I have no photograph of him and he died 2 years before I was born.
    I will never give up trying to find more about him - relatives or friends he may have had.
    Any help appreciated.

It would be easier to help if you tell us useful things like his regiment and service number!
    Did he survive the war?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    It would be easier to help if you tell us useful things like hisregiment and service number!
    Did he survive the war?
    I do say in my post that he was one of the 70 SURVIVORS.

His regiment and number did not seem relevant, I was more interested in anyone who has information on any other survivors. I can provide that information if there is anyone.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi Jo

I am a newspaper devotee - so if you have not tried local newspapers it might be another line of research. Some of the survivors were honoured with special dinners and so forth and they had re-unions. You might be lucky and find a photo in a local newspaper.

Local archives may have photographs and information also.

Mrs P

Talking about newspapers, was he in the 2nd Bat. Dorset Regt?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Mortimer View Post
    I do say in my post that he was one of the 70 SURVIVORS.

His regiment and number did not seem relevant, I was more interested in anyone who has information on any other survivors. I can provide that information if there is anyone.
    Over the centuries, there have been many battles and wars with many nations and regiments. This is a worldwide forum with members of many interests - I had to Google to find out the significance of Kut, myself.
    You didn't specify that you are searching for other survivors. Just "Any help appreciated".

Anyone planning to help with this thread might want to check and see what has already been provided on another forum HERE to prevent duplication of effort.

I's spotted the other forum after identifying likely regt.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"