Default Lost family 1861 census

I have hit a small brick wall with the 1861 census address - Church Street Westminster, The family is Spencer. head James Spencer born 1813 Bloomsbury Middlex. Occupation Writer & Painter (Sign Writer possibly). Wife Rachel Spencer nee Smallbone born 1826 Hurst Berkshire. Son William born 1853 at 10 Church Street. Charlotte daughter born 1859 10 Church Street.

1871 census James Rachel, William, Charlotte and Arthur born 1863 all living at 8 Church Street, St John Westminster.

I have looked on every census I can find including going through every address for Church street on The Genealogist and yet still cannot find them.

Sue

Dundee10

Hi and Welcome.

There is a fair bit of the 1861 census missing and unfortunately it includes some of that area. Have you found the households around 8/10 Church Street?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...inster+missing

Hi Dundee10

No I do not seem to be able to find the right 8-10 Church street. I cannot find St John the Evangelist, Westminster. I have looked at most of the address's so maybe it is one that is missing!

Reputation beyond repute

The census street index list Church Street, Smith Square, Westminster as MISSING from ED6

Default Thank you

Hi Guys

Thank you so much. I had not thought about census's not actually exsisting!

Reputation beyond repute

It's censuses.

Notably the entire Belgrave sub-district is missing from 1861. The catalogue can be a help here. For example try a search within RG9 for the keywords missing OR wanting (entered like that with OR in upper case)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ro=any&_st=adv

To archivists, there's a subtly different meaning between "missing" and "wanting" but offhand I can't recall what it is