Reputation beyond repute

Default WDYTYA - Charles Dance

I'm running a week late.

Heard during the Charles Dance episode of WDYTYA - "Three gross! That's 60!"

When I was at school, a gross was 12 dozen. Has it changed?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

When I was in school a gross was 144 12 x 12

20 was a score

Knowledgeable and helpful

Likewise.

Did we go to the same school or did all schools teach that? Except for the one Charles Dance went to, obviously.

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

It was the "expert" who came up with that one. Mr D may have been too polite to correct her

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    When I was in school a gross was 144 12 x 12
    I was taught that too. I discovered recently that the term grocer comes from the word gross - but probably everyone else already knew that!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I didn't. Thanks for the info. Curious as to what they were selling by the gross though.

Emeltee

Famous for offering help & advice

I didn't quite understand why CD thought his father was 25 years younger at death than he actually was - wouldn't that be a straightforward thing to check ?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Agreed spotted the maths error at the time, there were bits in the 'tale' that didnot stack up......brother spirited away with a different father?

How come he Dance children in RSA did not raise the query about the relationship to CD when they were Game of Thrones followers?

I have a family in RSA went out in the 1920's, the current generation of boys were keen to know if footbaler turned pundit Mark Lawrenson was a rellie!

He had been told that his father died young. Odd, but if that's what Family said, he'd grow up believing it.
    We obviously don't see most of the fundamental research (or how would the experts conveniently happen to have nice prints of the required data?
    I do wonder whether the subjects are actively discouraged from following the logical line, sometimes. I'm sometimes left shouting "look for the certificate" when the programmer advice is to head for the other end of the country and visit a museum...

Equally, the Dance fans in RSA could have briefly considered a relationship, but I can see that it would not occur to people (especially non genealogists) that a living man in another country was the brother of my long-dead grandfather.

I enjoyed the episode (only watched it last evening) more than many in the previous series - not a lot of emoting and an interesting result.