Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Baptisms - DISS
    Amos son of Thomas Potter and Lydia his wife/late Lydia Bond spinster was born May 21st 1797 and baptized privately May 28th 1797.
    aha! Yes they both have a brother called Amos. Thank you.

hunterterri58

Is this "your" Rachel?
    Burial
    Rachel Corble, place North Lopham, date 14th Feb 1840, age 38
    Yes. Thank you.

hunterterri58

So I think my Rachel may well be the one from South Lopham family, although I cannot see her baptism. Would you agree?

However, a new puzzle is also emerging. I have a baptism of George Corbell in 1798 in Blo'Norton, which is very close to South Lopham, just a couple of miles. The Corbell family there seem established. I thought this was my George Corble/Corbell and now on further examination of the marriage record I see that he is from the parish of Culford in Sussex!

I know this could just mean he was there at the time of the marriage, but would you think it just as likely he was born there? I am going to have a search, but would be interested in your opinions.

Also, any thoughts as to why Rachel would not have been baptised or should I still continue to search for her.

Teresa

okay so I have had a quick look on Ancestry, FMP and Family Search and there seems to be no George Corbell/Corble in Suffolk born in the years 1790-1800. I know I am only a simple searcher, so if you are able to help me to find a more advanced search (besides going all the way to Bury St Edmunds record office!!) that would be great.
    Last edited by hunterterri58; 14-07-2017 at 6:43 AM. Reason: had a search

The GRO confirms Rachel Corble's age at death Mar Qtr 1840 as 38 (born c. 1802 - though ages are so often somewhat suspect)).

One of George and Rachel's children was a Robert (1835), the others being Mary (1823), Hannah (1826), Elizabeth (1827) and Emma (1837)

On the 1841 Census George's County of Birth is Norfolk (yet to spot him on the '51 Census)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Can see a George Corble on the '71 Census, age 78, bricklayer, born Blo Norton with son Robert, age 35, born North Lopham.

The 5 children's baptisms show either mason or bricklayer

The South Lopham baptisms to Samuel and Jane Potter are -
    John (1793), John (1795), Rhoda (1798), Mary (1801) and Samuel (1803) - is this the "South Lopham family" you are linking Rachel to?

Rachel may have been born other than a Potter and her mother may have married a Potter after Rachel's birth (Rachel illegitimate or mother widowed).

hunterterri58

The South Lopham baptisms to Samuel and Jane Potter are -
    John (1793), John (1795), Rhoda (1798), Mary (1801) and Samuel (1803) - is this the "South Lopham family" you are linking Rachel to?

Rachel may have been born other than a Potter and her mother may have married a Potter after Rachel's birth (Rachel illegitimate or mother widowed).
    That would then means she may have been born before 1793? How do I locate her then please? Do I just look for Jane and a previous marriage? the children are recorded as being children of Samuel Potter and Jane late Mickleborough.

Teresa

hunterterri58

The GRO confirms Rachel Corble's age at death Mar Qtr 1840 as 38 (born c. 1802 - though ages are so often somewhat suspect)).

One of George and Rachel's children was a Robert (1835), the others being Mary (1823), Hannah (1826), Elizabeth (1827) and Emma (1837)

On the 1841 Census George's County of Birth is Norfolk (yet to spot him on the '51 Census)
    IN the 1851 census he is born in Blo'norton and a bricklayer.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterterri58 View Post
    Hello
    I am thinking it might be worth considering that these are Rachel's parents as no other family seems to be having children, Potters that is, at this time. But I am unsure if I can place her in the years correctly, that maybe for whatever reason, she was not baptised!!

I am assuming South Lopham as she was married here and it possibly was her parish going on traditions.

Any thoughts please?

Teresa
    That Rachel Potter was "of this Parish" (South Lopham with North Lopham) on her marriage document and there is a Potter couple having children in South Lopham around the period you are interested is NOT grounds for assuming one of this couple's offspring failed to be baptised.

Rachel was born around 1802 according to her death registration/burial. She passed away before the 1841 Census could even identify County of birth, let alone parish/village. You are hitting the proverbial brick wall.

hunterterri58

That Rachel Potter was "of this Parish" (South Lopham with North Lopham) on her marriage document and there is a Potter couple having children in South Lopham around the period you are interested is NOT grounds for assuming one of this couple's offspring failed to be baptised.

Rachel was born around 1802 according to her death registration/burial. She passed away before the 1841 Census could even identify County of birth, let alone parish/village. You are hitting the proverbial brick wall.
    So I should count that family out then? I am really stuck then. Thanks for helping out though. I suppose a trip to the area might dig up something, don't know what, but it is so frustrating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12