Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default East Dereham cemetery

George Lawrence buried 8 december 2000, Evelyn Patricia Lawrence buried 12 June 1996. can anyone confirm these were husband and wife, or let me know what is written on headstones. George was my dad's brother.
    Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do you know if George and Evelyn had any children? You could check for their births in the GRO Index using a mother's maiden name of Moore, because there's a George Lawrence marrying an Evelyn P Moore, June quarter 1954 Harrow registration district.

Do you know for definite that there are headstone(s)? Not every grave has one.
    You could ask for photo(s) at https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...r&CRid=2283467

Alternatively you could send for Evelyn's death certificate which should say 'wife of George Lawrence'. I'm not sure if you can ask the GRO to send a certificate based on someone's occupation (which is where the 'wife of' bit comes in). Might be worth asking.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi

The 1939 register say that Evelyn P. Moore was living in Middlesex born 1923 Her married name was added at a later date and she is listed was Evelyn P. Lawrence. Evelyn P Moore married George Lawrence in 1954 at Harrow see FreeBMD

Peanut

Hi Pam & Peanut
    I found George by taking a chance putting 2 & 2 together.I guessed at a death and sent for a certificate. It is definitely him as I sent for a will and recognized names. Also a mention of his wife Patricia Evelyn. I had been told he had married a Pat and found a birth for Patricia Evelyn Moore which seemed to fit. However the 1939 census seems to cancel that. Also found a birth for Evelyn (mother's maiden name Jackson) in Harrow all of which fits with the 1939 census.
    I believed that Pat married to George was older than a 1923 birth.
    They had no children.
    I looked for Evelyn Patricia's death on ancestry and found the cost for a certificate was 22.99. which has rather put me off. I remember paying 7.00 for certificates. ( Is this down to Brexit??????!)
    I don't know if there are gravestones. Maybe they were cremated! A long shot I guess.
    I have relatives in Yarmouth so perhaps a visit is on the cards
    Thanks for your ideas. If there is any further info you come up with I'm sure you'll let me know.
    Thanks so much to you both

Perseus

Hi

You can order certificates online at a price of £9.50 from the GRO wed site

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Peanut

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

As Peanut says, order from the GRO (or the local Register Office) who are the only people who can issue BMD certificates. Never, ever, order through a third party such as Ancestry, because all they do is order the certificate from the GRO - and charge you an arm and a leg for doing so.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Peanut
    I did think there should be a cheaper way to order so wouldn't have gone for the Anc.com offer. Thanks for reminding me of GRO Perseus

Thanks Pam. Think I knew all that but had forgotten. I haven't ordered a certificate for a long time. Good value for wills online though through findawill.gov.uk
    There was mention of the R C Church in Weeting in the Will so an email is winging its way there as I type. Not holding out too much hope though. May be seen as a bit cheeky
    Perseus