Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Birthisel or Birthistle

I have Birthisel or Birthistle ancestors from the Rathdrum and Vale of Avoca in County Wicklow. I have found (with assistance from others) that they arrived in Australia in 1857 on the Sir William Eyre, they cam via Liverpool.

George Birthisel and Eliza Bannister, their son John and his wife Hannah and their children Eliza Jane, Richard, William George, John, and Hannah Maria, another son, Mathew was born in Victoria, Australia.

George's parents are William Birthisel and Ann Byrne. Eliza's parents are John Bannister and Ann Ruskel.

George married Eliza about 1816. John married Hannah about 1844 in Rathdrum.

I have been in touch previously with the Birthisel family in America and we believe it is most likely our ancestors are related as the surname is the same and they departed Ireland at close to the same time.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Hello HBear7 and welcome to the forum.

It isn't clear whether you have a surname for Hannah, if you don't here's one to consider.

Courtesy of Ancestry's "Dublin, Ireland, Probate Record and Marriage License Index, 1270-1858"

Name: John Birthisel
    Spouse: Hannah Henderson
    Document Year: 1844
    Record Type: Marriage Licence

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...60589&ref=acom
    Alma

Taken from Ancestry's " Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985"

Name: Hannah Birtfistle
    Birth Year: abt 1820
    Death Place: Eaglehawk, Victoria
    Father's name: Hindar
    Registration Year: 1894
    Registration Place: Victoria
    Registration Number: 12980
    Alma

Perhaps George's brother.

A family tree on Ancestry has a baptism record for: Thomas Birdthistle 9th Nov 1788, Rathdrum, parents William and Ann
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you almach, I did have that information, it was rather late Australian time last night when I was posting and I missed putting up some details. I did not want to over do the post.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Almach, that is quite possible as George Birthisel was born in 1792 in County Wicklow and those are the correct parents. There appears to be quite a few variations on the Birthisel name, on George's death certificate it is Birthistle. This information is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by HBear7 View Post
    Thank you almach, I did have that information, it was rather late Australian time last night when I was posting and I missed putting up some details. I did not want to over do the post.
    That's OK Please tell us just what information you are hoping to find.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I was hoping to find if George Birthisel has siblings and what happened to them. Anything on William Birthisel and Ann Byrne. Any information relating to Eliza Bannister her parents John Bannister and Ann Ruskel. Then any information on Hannah Henderson and her parents, I have Hindar Henderson as her father, I was not sure if Hindar was his name or if it stood for something else.

The Birthisel family has been quite easy to trace in Australia as there have been plenty of offspring putting the family tree together. Everyone seems to get back to Ireland and that is where we get stuck. It would be interesting to know why they left, the name seems to disappear after about 1857 from the area.

Quote Originally Posted by HBear7 View Post

It would be interesting to know why they left, the name seems to disappear after about 1857 from the area.
    The potato famine was 1845 - 1851 approximately during which it is estimated 1 million people died. Following this 2 million people emigrated between 1845 and 1855.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Baptism at Rathdrum, Wicklow, on 14 February 1790 of a William BIRDTHISTLE son of William & Ann and there is an Irish death registration for a William BIRTHISTLE at Rathdrum in 1875, aged 76.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast