Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thomas Gardiner

janbooth

Son Thomas GARDINER married at St Marylebone on 6 January 1840:

Thomas GARDINER, full age, bachelor, Gardener, St Marylebone, father Thomas GARDINER, Gardener, & Eliza YORK, full age, spinster, St Marylebone, father John YORK, Engineer. Both signed as did the witnesses John YORK & Wm Geo PAU? Thomas & Eliza can be found in the census from 1851 onwards living at Hampstead, Middlesex.

Just to add to what Alma has found above, Eliza GARDINER married Robert MARSHALL on 30 April 1826 at Fulham. However, still no luck finding out any earlier records for Thomas snr.

Janet

janbooth

Now, I wonder if this marriage could be relevant:

21 April 1805 at St James Westminster Thomas GARDINER & Mary POTTER both of the parish. Given that Mary GARDINER states in the 1851 census that she is born in Thames Ditton, there is a baptism at Ditton St Nicholas on 4 May 1777 of a Mary daughter of Richard POTTER - perhaps worth more investigation on your part.

Janet

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Posted by Janet.

In 1861 (RG 9; Piece: 372; Folio: 72; Page: 3) Thomas is living with Robert and Eliza Marshall and family, ELIZA born 1807, perhaps Eliza is Thomas Gardener's daughter.
    Eliza is my 3rd gt grandmother and this is her father I am sure.

Teresa

hunterterri58

Default Mary Potter

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Now, I wonder if this marriage could be relevant:

21 April 1805 at St James Westminster Thomas GARDINER & Mary POTTER both of the parish. Given that Mary GARDINER states in the 1851 census that she is born in Thames Ditton, there is a baptism at Ditton St Nicholas on 4 May 1777 of a Mary daughter of Richard POTTER - perhaps worth more investigation on your part.

Janet
    Hello Janet
    I am a very basic investigator, but I have had a look to see if this Mary Potter, daughter of Richard Potter in Thames Ditton was married or died and unfortunately the only Mary Potter from Thames Ditton that is mentioned is born 1777 and then there is a buriel in the same place in 1797. It does not give her age, or her parents name. I found this on FMP, but cannot locate it on Ancestry or New Family Search.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Teresa

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterterri58 View Post
    Hello Janet
    I am a very basic investigator, but I have had a look to see if this Mary Potter, daughter of Richard Potter in Thames Ditton was married or died and unfortunately the only Mary Potter from Thames Ditton that is mentioned is born 1777 and then there is a buriel in the same place in 1797. It does not give her age, or her parents name.
    At the risk of shoving my oar in, It might be relevant to say 'nor her husband's name'. If there's no age given then you have no idea whether she might be aged 2 months, twelve, thirty-five, a spinster or married, so just never assume. I notice that no mention has been made of a mother's name for the Mary baptised in 1777, so the Mary who died might be Mary's mother.

I found this on FMP, but cannot locate it on Ancestry or New Family Search.
    Any guidance greatly appreciated.
    Teresa
    There is some stuff that is on all three sites, but the vast majority (especially with regard to parish registers) will be on either FMP and possibly FamilySearch or Ancestry and possibly FamilySearch.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    At the risk of shoving my oar in, It might be relevant to say 'nor her husband's name'. If there's no age given then you have no idea whether she might be aged 2 months, twelve, thirty-five, a spinster or married, so just never assume. I notice that no mention has been made of a mother's name for the Mary baptised in 1777, so the Mary who died might be Mary's mother.

There is some stuff that is on all three sites, but the vast majority (especially with regard to parish registers) will be on either FMP and possibly FamilySearch or Ancestry and possibly FamilySearch.

Pam
    Thanks for that. I had thought of the possibility that it was another family member, like her mother, but I cannot locate a marriage there for a Mary Potter. Would I be looking in Surrey, or London as a search? Is there anything other than BMDs that will help ascertain who and where she is?

Teresa

janbooth

Teresa,

Ancestry only have the parish register images of Ditton St Nicholas up to 1782, so nothing from 1783 to 1812 which of course covers the period we are interested in! FreeReg have a burial at Ditton St Nicholas on 6 March 1791 of a Mary POTTER, spinster, which could be relevant to you, plus the one you have already found on 15 October 1797, but we can eliminate the latter as she is shown as a child on FreeReg.

It may well be that the burial in 1791 for Mary POTTER is the daughter of Richard POTTER that I found in my previous post, but the only way to be certain is to go through the actual parish register to make sure no other Mary POTTER was baptised during the appropriate timescale. The parish register timescale available on Ancestry, i.e. up to 1782, should be adequate to ascertain this fact.

Janet

hunterterri58

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Teresa,

Ancestry only have the parish register images of Ditton St Nicholas up to 1782, so nothing from 1783 to 1812 which of course covers the period we are interested in! FreeReg have a burial at Ditton St Nicholas on 6 March 1791 of a Mary POTTER, spinster, which could be relevant to you, plus the one you have already found on 15 October 1797, but we can eliminate the latter as she is shown as a child on FreeReg.

It may well be that the burial in 1791 for Mary POTTER is the daughter of Richard POTTER that I found in my previous post, but the only way to be certain is to go through the actual parish register to make sure no other Mary POTTER was baptised during the appropriate timescale. The parish register timescale available on Ancestry, i.e. up to 1782, should be adequate to ascertain this fact.

Janet
    Hello and thank you
    I have had a look on Ancestry and there is no St Nicholas, Thames Ditton that I can see at all and there is a St Mary's of Thames Ditton, but unfortunately there is a huge gap from 1692 to 1801.

any advice please?

Teresa

janbooth

If you enter Mary POTTER born 1777 +/- 2 years at Thames Ditton, Surrey into Ancestry's Births & Baptisms section, her baptism is the third one that comes up in the results, i.e. Mary POTTER, 4 May 1777 at Ditton St Nicholas. Click on the "View Image" link and up will come the correct parish register page for her baptism - it is the eighth one down. You can then scroll backwards & forwards in the parish register by using the left and right arrows.

To find out what parish records are available on Ancestry, from their Home page click on "Parish" in the "What's happening at Ancestry" section. This then brings up "All our Parish Collections 1538-1812" and for your current search you would click on the "Surrey" section, then "Baptisms, Marriages and Burials", then the "Browse this Collection - Parish". Scroll down until you find "Ditton St Nicholas", click on that and you then have a date range of the registers available.

It is always advisable to browse their register collections yourself, because some of their transcriptions are pretty awful even when the script is not too bad.

Hope you manage to find the relevant parish now, Teresa.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12