Maud Jarvis

Question Railway accidents where would..

Hi
    Does anyone have any idea of where I may be able to obtain information re an accident on the railway, but not to a railway worker? I am searching for information re my gt grandfather George Nelson Grant. Sometime in 1867 he was involved in an accident (actually 2) serious enough for him to be retired early from the GPO service.

He worked as a postal clerk/sorter on the mail trains, travelling, I presume, between Derby & London, he was involved in two accidents, he was paid two lots of compensation, one of £40 and another of just over £40, quite a considerable sum for that time I imagine.

I have his GPO record, but unfortunately, this gives no details of the accident, such as where or when, and on which railway. So, I wonder if this would have been reported in a Railway magazine? and if so, where would I be able to obtain any copies, or would it have been reported in a local newspaper, and again, which paper would it likely to have been, presuming that is, if the accident happened in Derby, although he was a resident in Derby and it may have been reported because of that, but again where? Which railway company would have been involved, if travelling between Derby & London?

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to solve this question? I would be so grateful for any pointers, there has been so many mysteries connected to this elusive gt grandfather, that any scraps of information would be most welcome. I am assuming that the accident happened in 1867, since that is when he was retired from the GPO service.

All I know at present, is that he was living in Birmingham in 1890, he had been having correspondence then with his daughter (my grandmother) she had been sent to Canada as an orphan in 1889, although she later confessed to the Home that she was NOT an orphan, but that her father was then living in Birmingham, she made no mention of her mother being either alive or dead. and I have been so far unable to trace her death. It has been assumed on the evidence I have, that he and his wife may have parted, each to live with another partner, he appears in 1891 and up to 1919 with a "wife Annie" but no marriage has been found, so possible gt grandmother (Mary Hannah (nee Copeland) had also been with another "husband" and used his surname, in which case I will never be able to find her death.

If anyone in Derby has any link to the COPELAND family and could shed light on this mystery, I would be "over the moon" so, is there anyone lurking there who knows of them??

It had been suggested to me that perhaps the info on his wife`s name on the census could have been put as Annie instead of Hannah, but that does not work either, both women had different birthplaces.

If I only knew the surname of Annie that would have been of help, but nothing there to help either, perhaps a mystery I will never solve, but you never know, perhaps someone has a link in their tree??
    Last edited by Maud Jarvis; 10-10-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Maud, I have George Nelson Grant on my tree,he married Marry Hannah Copeland 1868, then married Mary Plews Street 1863
    then married Annie Packer 9/9/1910

Marriages Dec 1863

Grant George Nelson Shardlow 7b 665
    Street Mary Plews Shardlow 7b 665

Marriages Sep 1910 (>99%)

Grant George N Derby 7b 1235
    Packer Annie Derby 7b 1235

Do you already have this information?
    Regards Ellen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi again Ellen,

I'm afraid you're not having a lot of luck with your posts because Maud is another person who is no longer a member of the BG forum, as shown by the word 'Guest' under her name
    Again, if she's still around and still doing family history research she may see your post.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”