Newcomer to Brit-Gen Norfolk L-M20's Avatar

Default Hello from Norfolk

Pleased to join this forum. I started researching my family history around 30 years ago, when you had to visit CROs with a pencil and white gloves. I gave up researching for many years - then returned a few years ago to discover online and genetic genealogy. I do subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk at the moment (but NOT using the AMT sources), where I currently keep a tree for my kids of over 2,400 names, including over 270 direct ancestors for myself.

I live in Norfolk, close to where the majority of my recorded ancestors lived over at least the past 300 - 500 years. All of my recorded ancestors so far have been in SE England of local families, except for a 3 x great grandparent that I recently found evidence for coming from either France or Switzerland. As I said, the majority of my ancestors were from East Anglia - but with my paternal line and a few others from a cluster in Oxfordshire / Berkshire, and another line (from a 3 x great grandparent) from Lincolnshire / Northants area.

My paternal surname line is BROOKER. I've traced it back through Kent, London, back to Oxfordshire, and to the border with Berkshire to the village of Long Wittenham, to a birth circa 1723. I'm currently stuck there but with potential connections to some other nearby BROOKER's in nearby Hagbourne, Berks.

To associate to that surname line, I also carry a very, very rare Y-DNA haplotype that originates within the past few thousand years from the Iran region of SW Asia (L-FGC51036). It is so far in Europe shared only with myself and some descendants from a CHANDLER in the Basingstoke area. After that, my nearest Y match is from East Iran and SW Pakistan.

Maybe around 77% of my recorded or likely family history though, is here in East Anglia. I'm sure that my roots here go pretty far back.

That's me.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I see you are finding your way around the forums just fine.
    If you think you can help someone then please do join in. The more of us the merrier or more to the point, more areas of expertise and possibly different sources
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen Norfolk L-M20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I see you are finding your way around the forums just fine.
    If you think you can help someone then please do join in. The more of us the merrier or more to the point, more areas of expertise and possibly different sources
    Christina
    Thank you for the warm greeting Christina, although I'm sure that despite years of research, that I have so much to learn.

Hello and a warm welcome to Brit-Gen forums.

A few years ago I helped someone with Norfolk ancestry and was delighted by how many online resources there are for Norfolk.......more than for my main research area of Yorkshire. Like you, most of my research is focused in the one county, makes research easier; I've not found any Irish or Scottish ancestry so far which is good as I wouldn't know where to start in those countries.

Do enjoy your visits here and if you need any help SHOUT
    Alma