Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It happens a lot. There was quite a pressure to name the kids after the g.parents, and if there were several brothers all married in the same parish at about the same time, there was frequently a sudden outbreak of children with the same name and roughly the same age. The only way to sort them out was to track the siblings....

Lesley,

You are right! I've sorted out several family groups using that method. The problem here is that there seem to be so few documents. I am also looking for Apprentice records in that time period in Scotland (probably Edinburgh Parish) Do you know if any are online somewhere?

I've had a quick look round. I thought that they were on the National Records of Scotland site, but they only have them for 3 locations. I suspect that some will be with local archives.

The simplest way to find whether they have survived (and a lot of records haven't thanks to damp, acid ink, fire, war, etc) is probably to contact the relevant FHS or local archive and ask them if they know. Have a look through GENUKI.org.uk to find out where they are.

Thanks Lesley, you and the other responders have been of great help! Being on another continent doesn't help much but I will continue the search as best I can

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123