Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Yelton View Post
    I am trying to prove that the child James, born to Robert & Margaret Broun Yelton in 1712 was not the James who was stillborn in 1714! Not sure why this couple would have had to sons named James... very confusing!!
    I'm pretty sure that in the 1712 extract James will be the father's name, and there isn't a name, or even gender, given for the child. The header/description you posted for this one just gives the child's surname, so it looks as though the National Records of Scotland thought this too.

One more quick question, where it say: a S.N. James w. James Spotswood, could that mean that James was placed with James Spotswood as an apprentice????
    Sorry, I didn't comment on this. Sue suggested above (and I agree) that w. will be an abbreviation for witnesses.

I'm fairly confident in what I've suggested, but sometimes you can get clues from other entries - eg how have they prefixed the witnesses? If it's sometimes "wit" and sometimes "w", then that supports the idea.

If he was still born, he would not have been baptized with witnesses, etc. it's unusual to see a child recorded as stillborn with a forename. If he drew breath after birth, but was obviously too weak to live, he could have had a bedside baptism - even the midwife could do it. The Kirk minsters had a lot of leeway about what they recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If he was still born, he would not have been baptized with witnesses, etc. it's unusual to see a child recorded as stillborn with a forename. If he drew breath after birth, but was obviously too weak to live, he could have had a bedside baptism - even the midwife could do it. The Kirk minsters had a lot of leeway about what they recorded.
    I think I need to clarify; I have several documents from Scotland's People;

Robert Yelton and Margaret Brown were married in Edinburgh Parish;
    Robert s/o James, late farmer in Dolphinton, now in N. K. p.; Margaret Brown, servitrix to Robert Hunter, merchant, burgess 31 Mar 1706 Robert, merchant, *burgess; his widow. See Margaret Brown.

Robert & Margaret had at least the following children;

Name: Alexander Yelton
    Christening Date: 02 May 1708
    Christening Place: EDINBURGH PARISH, EDINBURGH, MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
    Father's Name: Robert Yelton
    Mother's Name: Margaret Broun
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11979-1 , System Origin: Scotland-VR , GS Film number: 1066666 , Reference ID: 2:17N9JXC

Name: Eupham Yeltoun
    Christening Date: 23 Jun 1709
    Father's Name: Robert Yeltoun
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11979-2 , System Origin: Scotland-VR , GS Film number: 1066666 , Reference ID: 2:17NBBXG

Name: John Yelton
    Christening Date: 01 Feb 1711
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11979-2 , System Origin: Scotland-VR , GS Film number: 1066666 , Reference ID: 2:17NC7HD

Name: James Yelton
    Christening Date: 08 May 1712
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11979-2 , System Origin: Scotland-VR , GS Film number: 1066666 , Reference ID: 2:17ND1TK
    (If this is my James, he was christened in 1712 so he could not be the child who was stillborn in 1714)

Robert Yelton apprenticed at least one son,
    UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811
    Master's Name: Jams Norie
    Apprentice Name: Robt Yelton (he would have been abt. 14 yrs. of age)
    Residence Location: Edinburgh
    Payment Date: 8 Dec 1720

Other document include;
    Edinburgh Marriage Register 1701-1750 (page 601)

Yelton (Yeltoun, Yiltown), Helen; James Simpson, writer 21 Apr 1708 Speculate that these may have been a younger sister of Robert Yelton who married Margaret Brown.
    Marion; James Spotswood, barber 2 July 1702

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that in the 1712 extract James will be the father's name, and there isn't a name, or even gender, given for the child. The header/description you posted for this one just gives the child's surname, so it looks as though the National Records of Scotland thought this too.
    Very sorry - there's a typo here which has probably muddied the waters.

I was actually referring to the 1714 (stillbirth) extract, and I don't think there's anything in it that conflicts with the baptisms you've just listed.

So Robert and Margaret were having children including a James in 1712, and James Yelton had a stillborn child in 1714, whose name is unknown. From your searches, have you come across a James who might be the father in 1714?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    Very sorry - there's a typo here which has probably muddied the waters.

I was actually referring to the 1714 (stillbirth) extract, and I don't think there's anything in it that conflicts with the baptisms you've just listed.

So Robert and Margaret were having children including a James in 1712, and James Yelton had a stillborn child in 1714, whose name is unknown. From your searches, have you come across a James who might be the father in 1714?
    Robert lists his Father as James in his Marriage cert so perhaps that James was still fathering children? Or maybe just another unrelated James Yelton! I sometime think my James was plopped down in Virginia by aliens LOL!!

Robert lists his Father as James in his Marriage cert so perhaps that James was still fathering children? Or maybe just another unrelated James Yelton! I sometime think my James was plopped down in Virginia by aliens LOL!!
    By the way, does anyone know if the Edinburgh Apprentice records are online anywhere? I have no problem paying for records but I will never get to Scotland because of health reasons. It has always been my supposition that my James was apprenticed and brought to America with his master. That might explain why we can not find him in any ship manifests...

FamilySearch has the baptisms of two children of a James Yelton and Elizabeth Caddell in Canongate in 1717 and 1721, so quite possibly the same couple. But in a quick search I haven't found their marriage.

Records under the Surname Yelton (any spelling) are rare and very hard to come by!

#15 Maybe Robert & James were brothers? It would explain the similar timing and names....

Possible! Robert Yelton lists his father as James in his marriage bans. So his father James may have had another son named James. I also believe that he had 2 daughters; Helen who married James Simpson and Marion who married James Spotswood. James Spotswood was also a witness in the christening of Robert's son James. Sounds like a family group to me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast