Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default Trinity House Calendars

Has anyone ordered documents from the Trinity House Calendars from the SOG. I have located an Ancestor who is listed in the Calendars for 1820 in series 1, book 16. As it is £15 I am wondering what information you may get for your money. This particular family are a seagoing lot but I have no information for any connection to the sea for this ancestor - would the documents give that information. FMP describes what to expect but it does not sound as if you get much more than you can already see in the book listing.

Mrs P

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I think it depends which type of record you're looking at.

If you have an FMP sub search for Susanna Stirling Adams in 1809. She's in the 'Miscellaneous' and what you get from that section you might be able to acquire from other (cheaper) means from the information given.

If you use the 'earlier page' button you get to the Appenticeship Indentures. You probably get a document for that as the SoG site says
    Most of the indentures have endorsements as to their enrolment and the completion of the terms. Many are also endorsed with notes of money advanced and paid.
    With a petition you definitely get a document. Possibly a lot more, such as baptism records for the children, etc.
    From the SoG website:
    The petitioner is usually the wife or widow, but is often the seaman himself. The year of the petition, the petitioner's age, in most cases the spouse's name, and the place they are living is shown.
    In nearly every case the Petitions follow a stereotypical formula, as the forms contain a printed set of questions which were to be answered by the applicant.
    They quote an example, and it gives the widow's name, age, and address.
    Number of years her husband served with the Merchant Sea Service, and the ships, and his role (apprentice/mate) on them.
    When and how he died.
    Children's names and dates of birth.
    On the other side of the petition are various certificates, including one verifying the statements made.
    There's a marriage certificate, baptism certificates for the children, and four birth certificates for the ones born after 1 July 1837.

The SoG warn that
    Naturally every Petition varies in the amount of information given, and also the number of documents enclosed in support of the Petitioner's claims, but as the period covered by them includes the whole of the Napoleonic Wars, there is a tremendous amount of valuable genealogical information about many seamen who either fought or were taken prisoner during those times.
    If you can get to the SoG itself, apart from Miscellaneous papers M-Z, you can take photocopies from the films in the Lower Library. Though you do have to pay 'library use' fees - minimum £5 for two hours.
    Though trust me, with the wealth of other documents they have, you could easily spend a full day from 10am to 8pm on a Thursday and really get your money's worth.
    As you can't take photocopies of Micellaneous M-Z, perhaps the SoG have only what's in the books, and no documents. You would have to clarify that with them.
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Firstly apologies for the delay in getting back to the thread.

Thank you Pam, I don't have a subscription to FMP at the moment but I downloaded the page when I did have a subscription.

Weighing it all up I am going to pay the money and keep fingers crossed as any documents could be invaluable.

It is a petition - as it gives his name, age, his wife's name, where he lives and the date 1820.

Thank you once again.

Mrs P

I have placed the order so fingers crossed.

Mrs P

Quick update, documents arrived from SOG and well worth sending for. Confirmed baptism (1757) and parents, wife's full name and marriage - big shock as I though this chap was Naval but he was on a whaling ship. Something new to research.

Mrs P

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

So pleased to hear that your money was well-spent, Mrs P.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”