Geoff1959

Default George Henry Serle RN 1872-1918

Hi I'm looking for help with some background info on the Royal Navy to help sort out family fact from family fiction.
    George Henry Serle died in Greenwich Seamans Hospital in 1918 from Colitis.
    At the time of his death he was a Chief Writer. My understanding is that everything from stores ordering to leave and pay needs a "chitty" and he was one of the people who wrote them?
    Would he have been considered an officer? would he have worn whites?
    I have a copy of a picture of HMS THETIS with the ships crew posing on deck. This was his last ship and maybe he is in the photo? [Thetis was used as a block ship at the entrance to Zebrugge]

There is a family story that he had a ceremonial sword, at his grade would this have been a possibility?
    It is believed that he is buried in St. Dominic Church nr Plymouth but I have not found any proof of this on Ancestory or FMP [NOT A LOOKUP REQUEST AS I HAVE AN ACCOUNT ON BOTH!!]
    This would have meant conveying the coffin (presumably) by train from London to Callington? Would the Navy have paid for this? There is also talk of a military funeral, again at his rank would this have been a possibility?

Lots of questions and any help or pointers as always much appreciated.
    Regards.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi, Try Paul Benyon's excellent site https://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Navy_Lis...rs.html#Writer Chief Writer ranks along side a Chief Petty Officer, but a quick look on FMP newspapers shows in the Aberdeen Press and Journal of 14th October 1918 that at the time of his death he was an Acting Warrant Writer. I understand that Warrant Officers had swords, but with black handles to distinguish them from Commissioned Officers' swords.
    Last edited by peter nicholl; 01-07-2017 at 1:04 PM. Reason: Tidying up the post
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Reputation beyond repute

ADM 196 1756-1966 Admiralty: Officers' Service Records (Series III)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D7572949

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

The CWGC site shows that he died on 8th October 1918, aged 45. The Cornwall OPC for St Dominck (note the k) shows that he was buried there on 14th October. https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org...als&id=3340790 His residence was 8 Burleigh Park Road Peverell Plymouth.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Geoff1959

Hi Peter,
    Thank you so much for this.
    The interesting thing is that just 6 days after he died in Greenwich Kent, he is buried 200+ miles away near to his wife's family home in Cornwall. It seems likely that due to the time frame he was conveyed by train from London to Callington (nearest station). I'll try posting something in the Railway section. The story that his sword lay on top of the coffin may well be true. I have no photo's of George Henry and it would be wondeful if one of him did turn up. I don't suppose there is a possibility that there would be one in his naval records? Once again thank you.