Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BernieFD

Hi Again ,
    I found better information about Trelawney by using Charles Trelawney - Wikipedia. As My Charles apparently came from the area where there the Trelawney family came from there may be some connection.
    Just a thought , hopefully.
    Bernie Australia.

BernieFD

Hi Dundee ( Posts15 and 17 and Janet, post 13 ) thank you for your replies about Catherine Shields . I now have a copy of her death certificate.
    She died in 1906 in Richmond, Victoria , Australia age 83, making her birth date 1823 in Ahoghill , Antrim, Northern Ireland The certificate confirmed her father was Daniel Boyd , farmer, mother Catherine Boyd formerly not known. I did find that her mother died shortly after she was born and Catherine was brought up by an aunt , surname Shields , no Christian name, so apparently Catherine thought she was Shields and used that name for the rest of her life. Do not know where Catherine and her Aunt lived.

I also have the birth certificate for Patrick James Street , born 1869, my Grand father the youngest child of Charles Trelawney Street, he had 10 children, ( that name confirmed on the certificate as the father ) Confectioner, age 50, from Weymouth , England , mother , Catherine Shields age 45. from Antrim Ireland.
    I do not have their marriage certificate .but a copy of the Church record confirming their marriage in Portland, Victoria in 1851.

WE have always had trouble finding reference to Charles Trelawney Street but now it seems pretty clear he was really out there somewhere.!!

I did manage to find records of some of Charles siblings listed in the records of St Marys Church inn Melcombe Regis in Weymouth
    I found Sara Street born 1811 , Jane Melton Street born 1821 in the poor house to the widow of James Street., also James and William , but no record of Charles Trelawney . Perhaps he was born some where else in Weymouth . His parents were James Street and Mary Melton . James was born circa 1785 and I assume Mary may have been born about the same time. I believe James died about 22 May 1820..and his mother may have been Anne!
    I understand there is or was village named Trelawney , maybe he could have been born in or near there . There is a long history of the Trelawney family in Dorset and I believe maybe Cornwall so it is possible that my Charles may have been given the family name.

With this additional information is it possible that one of the Brit Gen researchers might be able to find where Charles Trelawney Street may have been born .
    Regards Bernie FD Australia.
    Last edited by BernieFD; 10-07-2017 at 1:09 AM. Reason: add more info,

janbooth

I think this could be your Charles STREET, Bernie:

4 February 1816 at Weymouth St Paul, Dorset Charles STREET son of James & Mary STREET, Wyke, Shoemaker.

The occupation fits with the other baptismal records you have already found for siblings of your Charles Trelawney STREET and another son William STREET was also baptised at Weymouth St Paul in 1815.

Janet

janbooth

Mary STREET looks to be in the 1851 census of Melcombe Regis living in the Union Workhouse and is shown as aged 75, born Melcombe Regis. Burial for Mary STREET at Wyke Regis on 15 January 1855, Weymouth Union, aged 82 - Ancestry have transcribed her age as 52 but it is definitely 82. So she is presumably born in the 1870's sometime. However, I have not found a burial for husband James STREET - so far.

Janet

BernieFD

Janet , thank you for both posts , at last we may have found the elusive Charles Trelawney STREET.
    About #24.If Mary was buried in 1855 and you say she was 82 she must have been born in the 1770s (maybe a typo)`

It would be interesting to see if Charles may have had any connection to the Trelawney family which I mentioned in #22

It has been an interesting search so far and I am grateful for your and other researchers help

Regards, Bernie.

janbooth

Ancestry have the actual parish register images for the baptisms of all the children of James & Mary except for the Sara you mention and the burial record for Mary is also the actual parish register image. The parish register image of the marriage of James & Mary MILTON is also on Ancestry and took place on 11 February 1806 at Melcombe Regis. James signed and Mary marked.

James STREET appears in the 1813 Land Tax returns of Weymouth & Melcombe Regis as occupying a property of Robert TRIM. Still no sign of a burial record for him though.

Janet

BernieFD

Thanks Janet, I am a little suspicious about Sara, because the Melcombe Regis record at St Marys shows Sarah Streett 27 March 1811 as being daughter of James and Mary Streett .

Could this just be an incorrect spelling of SARAH and STREET or is it a different family? That might explain why you were not able to find Sara on Ancestry?.

Regards Bernie.

janbooth

Just found Sarah's baptism, Bernie. Ancestry have her surname as STREEL but it is definitely STREET - 27 March 1811, Sarah Elizabeth daughter of James & Mary STREET. Plus another baptism to James & Mary at Melcombe on 15 January 1809 of Wm James son of James & Mary STREET - also indexed as STREEL. Interestingly, both these baptisms are shown twice, once as STREEL & the other as STREETT!

Janet

BernieFD

Thank you Janet.

It has been an interesting challenge. I wish my mother ( born Kathleen)Street) was still alive to hear all the good news. She did get to 100, and would really have really been thrilled to hear all about her family background.

Regards Bernie.

BernieFD

Hi Janet , The Wm James you mentioned in #28 , born 15 January 1809 must have died as a child , because there was a William born 1815 Weymouth ST Paul #28 and James born 20 February 1814 Melcombe Regis parish register refers.!!

Could you please check it for me when you have time as I can't find any record of his death!!!

Regards Bernie.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast