Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default CLARKE, James Harrison or Samuel Walmsley?

Could some kind, clever person please use your searching talents to determine this man's "correct" name?
    He is in the WW1 Service Records (WO 363) as JAMES HARRISON CLARKE, but - if his wife is correct - is recorded as SAMUEL WALMSLEY CLARKE in freebmd's marriage index:

James Harrison CLARKE: home address Manchester (Chorlton); enlisted (51466 RGA) November 1914 - declared age 37y 9m. There is a suitable 1877 birth (Barrow).
    Married March 1895 at Hulme Register Office - wife Eliza Elizabeth NIBLETT. There is no marriage recorded for James Harrison ... but there is one for Eliza Elizabeth - and the only Clarke in the list is SAMUEL WALMSLEY.

Children: AMANDA 1901, KATHLEEN 1903, ALLARD 1906. (These are in the freebmd records, as CLARKE).

Wife dies (Chorlton) February 1915 - the Death Certificate is in the Service Records.
    She is IDA, wife of SAMUEL, age 39. Death registered by daughter MAGGIE.

Theories:
    - Did James H not like his name & changed it to Samuel W?
    - Did the Army clerk write the wrong man's information on James H's form? (But on attestation James H definitely says he's married, and I cannot find a marriage for his name. Nor can I find a birth for Samuel W)
    - Was Eliza E known as Ida & therefore buried as Ida?
    - Is Maggie a nickname for one of the 3 children above? Is she another child? Or is this another family?

HELP!! I am useless at searching the census - and I think that is where the answer may be found.

The records are at (Anc****y) CLA pages 146527 to 146546

Searching on the kids, there is an Amanda Clarke b.1901 Hulme in the 1911 on Anc. She has siblings Kathleen & Allard (and Margaret). There's even a Sarah Niblett, mother in law of HoH Sam Walmsley Clarke age 36, b. Holland, S.Manchester. He's a tailor.
    BUT (you knew it was coming) The wife is Ida, b. 1875, from Herefordshire. They've been married 16 years, 4 living kids, 3 dead.
    Anc tries to link Sam to a Henry Walmsley Clarke's marriage to an Ida Roberts in 1900, but Henry and Sam are both in the 1911, so not the same person.

The 1901 gives Samuel W Clarke with Ida (b. Leominster) and Margaret.

I can't find an Ida/Sam marriage, but there is indeed a marriage for Samuel Walmsley Clarke to Eliza Elizabeth Niblett on 9 Mar 1895 in Hulme (16 years before the 1911). Her father is given as Thomas Niblett.

I am beginning to think that Eliza and Ida were the same person. There's an Eliza E Niblett b. 1875 Leominster, dau of Thomas and Sarah, living in Hulme in the 1891. Anc links her to the 1895 marriage to Sam. As far as I can see, she's called Eliza until 1895, then Ida.

There is a birth Samuel Clarke 1877 Manchester, parents Elizabeth & William.
    There is a birth Sam W Clarke, 1874, Brampton, Derbyshire to George & Sarah A.
    There are births for James Harrison Clarke Jul 75, Churchover, Warwickshire and Apr 1875, Rugby, Warwickshire.

The only marriage I can find for Niblett/Clarke is the Sam/Eliza one.

And there is a James Clarke b. 1874 Ashton under Lyme, Lancs, married to Elizebth (sic) in the 1911, married 10 years, 1 child living, 4 dead. He's a miner. wife & child also Ashton). Anc links him to James Bertram Clarke, but JBC was a Major in the RA Med Corps, not likely for a coal miner.

And James Clarke, abt 1874, or St Helens, married to Eliza in the 1911. 4 kids living, 2 dead. He's a time keeper in a glass works. He also has a sister Mary Ellen. He has possibilities as in the 1901 he's shown as the stepson of Thomas Harrison and son of Margaret Harrison. There's 4 Clarke sons and 4 Harrison children (3b, 1 g) in the household. There's a marriage for Thomas Harrison & Margaret Clarke in Wigan 1890, which fits the ages of the kids.

There's a lot more to be done if you want to be certain, but I think that Ida & Eliza Niblett are the same person, married to Sam. There's a good chance that your soldier is the last one I mentioned with the Harrison stepfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    There's a lot more to be done if you want to be certain, but I think that Ida & Eliza Niblett are the same person, married to Sam. There's a good chance that your soldier is the last one I mentioned with the Harrison stepfather.
    Thank you Lesley - I was hoping you'd take up the challenge! And I agree with the above - there IS a lot more to be done!

But not by me! I've put a note in my notes (if you see what I mean!).

Jane

You can always tell when the next thing on my list is something I don't feel like doing...

I haven't looked at the service records, only parish records and FreeBMD/LancsBMD, so I may have missed some important aspects of this.

Ancestry have PR images for the following:
    Marriage of Samuel Walmsley Clarke & Eliza Elizabeth Niblett - 9 Mar 1895, St Michael Hulme
    Baptism of Amanda Melvina Clarke, d of Samuel & Ida (mmn Niblett) - 26 May 1901, St George Hulme (b 19 Apr)
    Baptism of Kathleen Louise Clarke, d of Samuel Walmsley & Ida (mmn Niblett) - 24 Jun 1903, St George Hulme (b 25 Apr)
    Baptism of Allard Clarke, s of Sam & Ida - 23 May 1906, St Aidan Manchester

In all cases Sam is given as a Sailor (not Tailor).

Looking at the Barrow birth registration, the GRO index gives mmn Hannah (as a surname) - there are quite a lot with these surnames in Barrow and elsewhere, but no Samuel Walmsley.

Finally re Ida: I have a great aunt b.1884 who was officially Eliza, but more or less always known as Ida (or Idie), including censuses and the wills of her parents and brother. I could also imagine that if the family went in for this kind of thing, Amanda could become Maggie (via Mandy, perhaps?) - a sort of continuation of a very young child's pronunciation.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I haven't looked at the service records
    Don't look at them, they will do your head in

Samuel says he was born in Holland.

That's right. Holland, S, Manchester.
    There's another one in Lincolnshire.

Dundee10

No he was telling the truth, Holland the country....

familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLMX-L44H

He also had a brother Allard in Yorkshire.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Link doesn't wotk.

Emeltee

Knowledgeable and helpful

To save everyone searching the birth is on fs. Samuel Walmslet Clarke born 20 Feb 1873 Velsen, Noord-Holland. Parents John Clarke Alice Speakman.

There is a link to the original image on fmp but it's all written in Dutch so I can't tell you what it says.

Emeltee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast