Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reasons for being a member of B-G

If you look at my profile (click on my name and choose from the dropdown menu) you can see that I joined Brit-Gen way back in 2004. I think my post count is over 3000 now and I am a moderator. It the 13 years since I joined this forum has connected me with relatives all over the world. Some have become very close and we are in regular contact, still learning about the branches of our exciting family. Some have acknowledged my existence and then gone quiet. I respect that because I know I cam be a little overpowering sometimes when excited.

Today I returned from a holiday to find that two threads about my ancestors have new posts and a PM tells me how the relationship is connected. One of the threads is from just a year ago and the other was started in 2008.
    If it was the policy of this forum to delete threads that had not been "active" for a while then my cousin would never have found me. She could not have taken the research done by the wonderful members of this forum to add to her family tree and I would still be faced with the task of trying to contact the descendants of a great aunt who married five times and disconnected from some of her children while telling huge lies to others. I don't know the names of the children of her daughter or the grandchildren - and neither do other cousins living closer than I do.
    Thank you Brit-Gen for once again coming up trumps and connecting me with family all over the world. This really is the best forum EVER!!!!
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Ladkyis
    I see you joined Sept and I joined Dec 2004, haven't made anywhere near as many posts as you but I do look in most days and like you have made quite a few contacts and got further in my research than I would have on my own.

Knowledgeable and helpful

2004 was good year (Oct 2004). It's been informative.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Another 2004 vintage
    Congratulations Ann. It is lovely to share your excitement at discovering yet more 'lost' cousins.
    It was because of BG that I discovered a dau of my ggrandfather's half sister was imprisoned in the USA in 1937 for infanticide - and I found her other son through BG. It was in many US newspapers but I haven't yet found any report of it in the UK.
    Someone wrote a book about Annie but not a very well researched book even though I gave her all the relevant information. The author was rather inclined to flights of fancy. I specifically asked that my name not be recorded as one of those involved!
    Mum knew we had a rellie that went to the US but I don't think they had any idea about her imprisonment even though she was deported. She would never have been mentioned if my Mum's Mum had known about it!
    Chris
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Some quality people became members of BG in 2004, as well as one or two bonkers ones. Perhaps some, like me, initially did so reluctantly because Rod Neep (the founder of BG) switched from a mailing list format to the forum system and they wondered how they would cope with all the new-fangled technology. (I have adapted to it now. )

I haven't met any cousins through BG, but I have had one very major breakthrough when in less hours than the number of years I had been looking for him the burial of my great-grandfather was found. Not in Cornwall as expected, or even in the UK, but in British Columbia, Canada, where he'd originally gone as a harvester in 1923 but ended up working on the Canadian National Railway, and sadly died in 1931 a few months before he was due to come back home to his wife and children.

BG 'sleuths' are just the best.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Where else can you find people who understand the need to check out just one more graveyard, at dusk and in the rain?

This is turning into a bit of a 2004 reunion.... It was me that convinced Rod that he couldn't list all the English counties, and then just have "Scotland"!

janbooth

I too joined the Forum via the Rod Neep pathway and have never regretted it. I don't think I have found out too much about my own ancestors via the Forum but have benefitted from being a member in many other ways and it is so rewarding being able to help other people break down a few bricks from their brickwalls and therefore give something back. You never cease to learn in this hobby and there is always someone out there who knows about areas of research that I am somewhat clueless in and therefore still pick up useful information. I think I am probably one of the slightly bonkers ones that Pam refers to!

Vive BG!!

Janet

Reporting for Class of 2004 reunion I too have found cousins through BG, and forum sleuths have helped me track down elusive ancestors. In my turn I have got almost as much satisfaction from breaking down a few brick walls for other members over the years. That sort of give and take is what makes BG so special.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brick wall demolition expert!

Well I might be a newbie, only joining in 2005 ............ but as a mere youngster, I think I can safely say that the best things about BG are peoples

patience;
    generosity;
    curiosity & tenacity - which is what you need to knock down brick walls;
    and amazing wealth of knowledge.

Long may it last.

You're right Megan, The members of this forum have always been the backbone of its success. No matter who comes in here looking for answers there will be a member with the expertise - and the generosity with their time - to help that new person. I think that is what makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up sometimes, the amount of time some members give to others.
    I agreed to be a moderator because I thought of it as a way to give back for all the help I have received here.
    I acknowledge that I am useless at these here search engine thingies and I have spent countless hours going round in circles on Ancestry and Find My Past. I put the question to this forum and within hours someone will have unlocked my mystery and given me a link to the information. Then I can go forward with my own efforts until next time.
    Now I wait for the newly connected cousin to tell me more *sigh* I hate wating, I might have to go and make bagels instead
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast