Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    You're right Megan, The members of this forum have always been the backbone of its success. No matter who comes in here looking for answers there will be a member with the expertise - and the generosity with their time - to help that new person. I think that is what makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up sometimes, the amount of time some members give to others.
    I agreed to be a moderator because I thought of it as a way to give back for all the help I have received here.
    I acknowledge that I am useless at these here search engine thingies and I have spent countless hours going round in circles on Ancestry and Find My Past. I put the question to this forum and within hours someone will have unlocked my mystery and given me a link to the information. Then I can go forward with my own efforts until next time.
    Now I wait for the newly connected cousin to tell me more *sigh* I hate wating, I might have to go and make bagels instead
    Or you could give the vacuum cleaner its annual 'day of work'.

(Scuttles off to hide in cupboard under the stairs for mentioning such words as 'vacuum cleaner'!!)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

2004 was a good year, Rod Neep starting this as opposed to the mailing lists.
    He excelled with the CDs he produced and having met him at a Derbyshire get together and walking away with some of his CDs as a prize I am indebted to him.
    I'm also agreed to become a moderator to help those in need, although I must get myself motivated to do my own one day 😀

AAAAH Pam I have a new vacuum cleaner and of course there is a story.

Several years ago Mr M bought a Henry for me (Kind of him yeah?) it came with a packet of bags. He counted them and said "A lifetime supply of bags for you" There were six. This tells you how often I would drag the accursed machine out and use it.

In March this year he watched a shopping channel and they had the GTech AirRam on a special offer. He bought it. As soon as it arrived he put the battery on charge and was soon trying it out in the hall. He let me have a "go" and I was so surprised by how light it was that before I realised I had vacuum cleaned the whole of downstairs. Emptying it was an absolute doddle and since then it has been used about once a week! My daughter threatened to take me to the doctor. Youngest Son asked if the cellulitis was back and affecting my brain, so I gave him a go with it and he did the whole of downstairs before he realised.

I just love it and Henry now lives upstairs although I suspect that he and his bags will be going to live with a granddaughter really soon.
    So I don't need to use the vacuum cleaner because it is already done!!! Never thought I would ever say that LOL
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

We find the airram struggles abit with dog hair, but otherwise it is a doddle to use.
    We have a shopfull of vacuums to choose from however having been the receipeints of deceased relatives household items recently-ish :
    Dyson DC24, Airram, Vax vacuum and something else too -a sebo (italian market model), so we're very spoilt for choice.
    3 hedge trimmers, 2 mowers, an entire garden centre full of hand tools (the German ones are the best) etc etc!

janbooth

That should keep you busy, then! So after hoovering the house, mowing the lawn, trimming the hedge, weeding and planting, can you then get down to some genealogy- vbg.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    That should keep you busy, then! So after hoovering the house, mowing the lawn, trimming the hedge, weeding and planting, can you then get down to some genealogy- vbg.

Janet
    Had to look that one up Janet as I didn't think 'venous blood gas' was relevant. VBG

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Well I might be a newbie, only joining in 2005 ............ but as a mere youngster, I think I can safely say that the best things about BG are peoples

patience;
    generosity;
    curiosity & tenacity - which is what you need to knock down brick walls;
    and amazing wealth of knowledge.

Long may it last.
    I agree totally with Megan's comments.
    I haven't found any relatives through BG but some "internet" friends who became actual friends when we finally met, and we help each other with our individual family history research.
    Whenever I have come to a grinding halt with my research, or the forest has too many trees for me to think logically (or even laterallly) I put my problem on the Forum and most times I am given either solutions or directions - so from me A GREAT BIG THANKYOU TO ALL.

David

Knowledgeable and helpful

Whilst agreeing with your post I must raise a small note of caution. The joined date does not necessarily show when the poster joined the forum.
    I was one of the first forum members when Rod transferred from the mailing lists to the forum. I was actually working for Rod at the time and my subscription was transferred by him when he started the forum.

However during one of the changes of ownership of the forum my password was corrupted and I was re-subscribed.
    My join date then appeared as the re-subscription date not the join date, earlier posts show me as a guest.

Not an important point but as family history is about accuracy of records one that must be mentioned as re-subscription could show on other subscriber’s status as well.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Or in the case of some members , there has been a need to 're invent ' themselves!

Starting to feel at home

As per Guy's comment. I first joined back in 2005 ish. Then I was invited to leave and rejoined fairly recently.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty for "taking" more than "giving". I first became interested in the "history" over forty years ago, fortunate that the various families had boxes upon boxes of "stuff". My first on-line genealogy site was Genforum back in 1999, never found a relative but did manage to find a wife and have received quite an education, including genealogy.

Brit-Gen members repeatedly reveal they have the knowledge of a sage and the patience of a saint. Nothing else to say except "Thank you".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast