Tolly

Default Carter/Huggett marriage

I am trying to find a marriage record (and hence parents' names) relating to the birth of Gwendoline M Carter (1931 Lewisham). The birth entry gives mother's maiden name as Huggett, but I have not been able to find a suitable Carter/Huggett marriage (with a female Huggett!). Yes! I know the obvious route is find the birth certificate etc.... wanted to see if any experts had any clues/info/sources first!

Thanks
    Paul

janbooth

Did your Gwendoline M by any chance marry a Mr WESTCOTT? There is a 1939 Register entry for a Gwendoline M CARTER born 23 December 1931 residing in Devon with her parents - can't give you full details because of FMP's terms & conditions. I can find no other birth registrations with mother's maiden name of HUGGETT 10 years either side of 1931 on the GRO Index.

Janet

Tolly

Gwendoline went on to marry William Pentecost in 1952, Lewisham. That part of the family is secure...just trying to move back before Gwen now.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I suppose you don't have her marriage cert either? That would give her father's name.

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

The birth certificate is the best route whether or not it's the most obvious.

The GRO indexes do not provide the full story. The parents may not have been legally married. The parents may have been legally married but it was not the mother's first marriage. Therefore the marriage in question will not have been under her maiden name.

You can't do genealogy without getting certificates.

Tolly

Yeh I know all that! Was being lazy on the off chance

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Tolly View Post
    Yeh I know all that! Was being lazy on the off chance
    Like the most of us begrudging spending the money on certificates.

Speculatively, I did find Gwendoline A HUGGETT b 1915 mmn Ahrens, (parents Cornelius & Alice Frederika)she had a couple of sisters living in Lewisham but none married a CARTER

So it looks as if you will need a certificate