Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default I need help...WW11 record

Hi, I am Joyce and have been involved with family history for over twenty years..In fact the finished book of my history was delivered this week and I am thrilled with it....it is every thing I hoped it would be.
    But now I am trying to do the same thing for my step son but am having difficulty finding records of his Grandfather from WW11. Can any one point me in the right direction as I just keep coming up with blanks... his daughter remembers him driving an Army vehicle and wearing an army uniform. Does any one know of civilian organisations maybe that could fit this picture.... Thanks so much...

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    if you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    WW11 service records are still held by the MoD but can be applied for. This 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can dowload the application forms. You will need a death certificate and 30 pounds. You do not need to know his regiment or service number.
    Meanwhile if you would like some help in seeing if we can move backwards you could post all the info you have and our sleuths may be able to find some relevant information.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello & Welcome

Have you looked for him on the 1939 Register ( on FMP) , you may get lucky with a tit bit of info!

You say you have a birckwall, freebmd.org.uk has birth / marriage / death certificate entry with mothers maiden name since 1911. Maybe you can gat a star by finding that info......

Remember when posting you can only post details of deceased persons, if the person you are looking for is still alive, PM one of us and we will assist you

Have you looked at the London Gazette for promotion etc
    Last edited by christanel; 22-06-2017 at 8:44 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo to read FMP, not FMO.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default help needed

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    if you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    WW11 service records are still held by the MoD but can be applied for. This 'sticky' explains and gives a link where you can dowload the application forms. You will need a death certificate and 30 pounds. You do not need to know his regiment or service number.
    Meanwhile if you would like some help in seeing if we can move backwards you could post all the info you have and our sleuths may be able to find some relevant information.
    Christina
    Hi christanel.....I know his name and date of birth, seen marriage certificate, but nothing else.....the family concerned don't seem to know much and don't seem to have been very interested in the past so cannot help me......His daughter remembers him coming home in Army uniform, driving a big truck.....my mind is working along the lines of some civilian unit, maybe he was too sick to actually go in forces, maybe he was a conscientious objector, which could have covered him being Irish and not wanting to enter Englands war....I just wondered if there are any records of these kind of people......
    I have been on a few sites looking for this man but cannot find anything except what I have mentioned....he was born in 1911 so is deceased as is his wife.....Thank you for any info you can direct me to.

Hello Joyce
    I am sorry to say that you will not find any records of those who served in WW11 for the UK on line anywhere. The MoD has not released them (privacy)
    Without knowing a regiment and battalion we just can't point you to sites that could at least tell you where/what a specific regiment was doing at certain periods. The War Diaries are on the National Archives site.
    The National Archives may be a site to explore https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    Type Army Reserve in to a search engine, it was previously called the Territorial Army.
    Concientious objector records are also on The National Archives site here
    To discover if this man actually served I think the only way is to apply for a service record for him. If he did serve you will receive his record but if he didn't you will not receive a refund of the 30 pound fee.
    Christina

Added:- I have moved this thread to the WW2 1939-1945 forum. it has the title I need help... WW11 record
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by joycempik View Post
    Hi christanel.....I know his name and date of birth, seen marriage certificate, but nothing else.....the family concerned don't seem to know much and don't seem to have been very interested in the past so cannot help me......His daughter remembers him coming home in Army uniform, driving a big truck.....my mind is working along the lines of some civilian unit, maybe he was too sick to actually go in forces, maybe he was a conscientious objector, which could have covered him being Irish and not wanting to enter Englands war....I just wondered if there are any records of these kind of people......
    I have been on a few sites looking for this man but cannot find anything except what I have mentioned....he was born in 1911 so is deceased as is his wife.....Thank you for any info you can direct me to.
    Was he born in what we now know to be Eire (Southern Ireland/Southern Free State) to Irish parents? Or was he born in Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK), England, Scotland or Wales? And exactly when was he born?
    If he was born in Eire after it separated from the UK, then I would have thought that he would have been classed as an Irish citizen. If he was born in England, Wales or Scotland, then he would be classed as a British citizen and liable for call-up. I would have thought the same would apply if he was born in Northern Ireland, but I'm not 100% sure.

While trying to find a little more information I did find this article about Irish men (i.e. Eire) who enlisted in the British army during WWII.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16287211

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”