Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cambridgeshire

janbooth

Marriage St James, Clerkenwell on 13 October 1834 between a John Allen ROBINSON & Jane MARSHALL. 1861 census of St Pancras (RG(/122, folio 30, page 58) shows John A ROBINSON living at 2 Harmood? Grove with wife Jane L aged 53 born Cambridge. Looks as if this could well be daughter Jane Louisa. 1851 census of St Marylebone confirms Jane L ROBINSON's place of birth as St Benedick's, Cambridge!

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

The Cambridgeshire FHS have a lot of indexes/transcripts online, which may be of use to you. Looks like a basic search is free, and pay-per-view for more details.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterterri58 View Post
    Hello
    I am now in Cambridgeshire with my Family history. My 3rd gt grandfather, Robert Pretlove Marshall was born in Cambridgeshire in 1804, christened at St Micheal's church in Cambridge on 5 Dec 1804. He married Eliza Gardiner from Wandsworth 30 April 1826, in Fulham.

His father was Robert Marshall and he married a Jane Pretlove in 1803 in ST Benedicts, Cambridge. From this point back I can find nothing about this couple.

I live in Yorkshire, so cannot get to Cambridgeshire to research and I cannot locate much of Cambridgeshire or Essex online. I may not be putting the correct information in the search area. I know they had children until at least 1808 in Cambridge as they were all christened at St Benedicts. I can find a set of Cambridgeshire on Find My Past, but it only brings up marriages and deaths, no baptisms.

Any help much appreciated.

Teresa
    On FMP if you select 'search', then A-Z Record Sets, and type in Cambridgeshire, it shows baptisms, marriages and banns, and burials. I presume these are the ones arthurk is referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    The Cambridgeshire FHS have a lot of indexes/transcripts online, which may be of use to you. Looks like a basic search is free, and pay-per-view for more details.

Most Essex parish registers are available online through Seax. https://
    seax.essexcc.gov.uk/ParishRegisters.aspx
    The registers are not indexed, so you have to go through them page by page (just as you would in the Record Office). Although you have to pay to access the registers I suspect that the cost is cheaper than rail fare/petrol and an overnight hotel stay.

You could try FamilySearch to see if the registers you want have been transcribed.
    https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1465709

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    On FMP if you select 'search', then A-Z Record Sets, and type in Cambridgeshire, it shows baptisms, marriages and banns, and burials. I presume these are the ones arthurk is referring to.
    I don't actually know - I only went to the society's own site. I didn't try looking for anyone there, but the blurb seemed to be suggesting that you could search for a name and gradually narrow down the criteria until you found what you wanted, then the full transcript could be viewed for a matter of pence. If it is the same data, some people might find it more cost-efffective than getting it through FMP.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I don't actually know - I only went to the society's own site. I didn't try looking for anyone there, but the blurb seemed to be suggesting that you could search for a name and gradually narrow down the criteria until you found what you wanted, then the full transcript could be viewed for a matter of pence. If it is the same data, some people might find it more cost-efffective than getting it through FMP.
    Thanks for the information Arthur.
    Seems a very smart move on the CFHS's part, and reasonably priced if you have a lot of people in Cambridgeshire.
    Also very good of them to give you ten free tokens when you first register so you could check whether the CFHS have a full(er) transcription than that on FMP. (Though obviously you need a sub to FMP to access what their records say. )

As FMP currently have free access to most records (ends 26 June 2017) I nominate Teresa to be our guinea pig to check-and-compare a transcription on both sites.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

janbooth

Still not having too much success tracing Robert MARSHALL snr, but there are 3 PRETLOVE baptisms at St Andrew the Less, Cambridge between the years 1787 and 1791, parents being James & Ann PRETLOVE of St Benedict. However, there is not one for a Jane PRETLOVE. Interestingly, there are PRETLOVE baptisms between the years 1731 & 1758 at either St Andrew the Great or St Edward according to my Cambs FHS Baptismal Index but then a gap until 1787, so Jane may well have been born/baptised in one of the surrounding counties, e.g. Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire.

Second husband Norris SMITH is still alive in the 1841 census of St Andrew the Less, but no Jane living with him so presumably she has died prior to the census. There is a National Burial Index record for a Jane SMITH who was buried at St Andrew the Less on 27 April 1838, aged 55, which would give us a birthdate of c1783. This date would fit in quite well with the marriage of a James PRETLOVE to an Ann SMITH on 23 April 1782 at St Andrew the Less, but why no baptism of a daughter Jane? Both James & Ann PRETLOVE were buried at St Andrew the Less, James in 1822 aged 66 and Ann in 1826, aged 67.

Could be a bingo moment. Searching for more obscure versions of the surname PRETLOVE on my Cambs Baptismal Index, there is a baptism in 1785 at St Andrew the Less of a Jane PRISTLOVE. Looking for an actual baptismal transcription brings up the baptism on 6 February 1785 of Jane daughter of James & Ann PRISTLOVE - definitely bingo! At least you should be able to go further back on Jane's line but as for Robert, this is proving much more difficult.

Janet

Def a bingo moment with Pristlove Janet, well done!

Cambridge archives also have Norris and Jane and one child being removed from St Benedict to St Mary the Less in 1815, probably around the time that the Marshall children were removed to St Edward. St Benedict presumably no longer happy to pay for the upkeep of this poor family now circumstances had changed. I guess that St Mary the Less was Norris's parish of origin.

hunterterri58

Seems a very smart move on the CFHS's part, and reasonably priced if you have a lot of people in Cambridgeshire.
    Also very good of them to give you ten free tokens when you first register so you could check whether the CFHS have a full(er) transcription than that on FMP. (Though obviously you need a sub to FMP to access what their records say. )

As FMP currently have free access to most records (ends 26 June 2017) I nominate Teresa to be our guinea pig to check-and-compare a transcription on both sites.

Pam
    Oh if it was just that simple!!!!
    I logged in, registered, paid £5 for 30 tokens and I am so rubbish at the searching!! The selections are surname, so I put in Marshall, Parish/place name so I put in Cambridge (you could put any parish of a great many!) I thought I would broaden it and cover all Cambridge!??? then the last search selection is Record set and here it list all the parishes and census and poor books etc. I went to each set for Cambridge, right through all the parishes and quarter session etc for the late 1700s to 1800s looking for Robert Marshall.

Not a single Marshall was to be found, not one!!

Am I doing this all wrong??

hunterterri58

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Def a bingo moment with Pristlove Janet, well done!

Cambridge archives also have Norris and Jane and one child being removed from St Benedict to St Mary the Less in 1815, probably around the time that the Marshall children were removed to St Edward. St Benedict presumably no longer happy to pay for the upkeep of this poor family now circumstances had changed. I guess that St Mary the Less was Norris's parish of origin.
    Thanks

So sad! Thank you.

hunterterri58

Pam
    Find my Past, similar challenge!! Well at least for me!! Found the Cambridge Record Set. Search was for Robert Marshall born 1777 give or take 10 years in Cambridge. Only one came up born 1772 to Sarah and Francis Marshall in Boxworth, Cambridgeshire!! Tried 1780 give or take 10 years and another came up born in 1790, but I believe this would make him too young in 1803 o have married.

I have noticed that on Ancestry there is a Family tree with Robert on and they have his birth as 1777 in Cambridgeshire to Thomas Marshall and Mary Gaylor. I never just take this for granted but they have no source, only another Family tree. I don't understand why if I enter this information I don't come up with anything anywhere!!
    I wonder if I should contact this person, or should I contact the CFHS and ask their help?

What I think I need is a training course with you guys! You are so good at this. I am pretty frustrated right now!! Grrr!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast