Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Quick reply

Mother was Jane POPE prior to marriage 1828 ( online) to Richard Vinall

Jx
    Yes, but doesn't answer why Emma's father is named as Richard POPE (probably confusion!)
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Checked it out, I agree good find

Widowed to hide the fact there were illegit children?
    I guess so..........who knows why some felt it necessary to 'hide' a past and others just didn't care
    Alma

The marriage is a transcription!! I have tried to locate the parish registers for 1861, no luck as yet.

Name: Emma BINALL [sic]
    [Emma Pope]
    Marital Status: Widowed
    Marriage Date: 27 Jan 1861
    Marriage Place: St. Paul, Hammersmith, Middlesex, England
    Father: Richard Pope
    Spouse: George Ockenden

ETA: I don't think the register is online.

Mar 1861, Kensington, vol 1a page 24. Emma BINALL/George OCKENDEN
    Alma

Marriage Aug 8th 1875, St Andrew, West Kensington.
    Louisa Vinall age 20, spinster, father George Vinall, sailor (perhaps using her step father's first name)
    William Fennell age 21, bachelor, carman, father William Fennell, bricklayer.
    Witnesses James and Mary Ann Watson.

A possible marriage for the witnesses
    Mar 1861, Kensington, vol 1a page 33. James Watson and on the same page Mary Ann Fennell
    Alma

Are you aware that Thomas perhaps married twice, both times to a Mary? First marriage to Mary Wood who probably died 1854.

The second marriage to Mary Ann Munden on May 11th 1856 St George, Camberwell. Mary Ann a spinster, father Leonard a grocer. Thomas a widower, joiner, father Richard a shipwright. Both of Commercial Road. Witnesses James and Emma Day.

A possible death for Mary Ann
    Mary Ann Vinall buried Oct 10th 1857 at Hackney Victoria Park Cemetery, she was age 41yrs of 25, Baltic Street St Luke.
    The GRO ref: Dec qrt 1857, St Luke 1b 89, Mary Ann VENNELL
    Alma

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineMaul View Post
    Thank you Lesley, it does look a bit like a 'T'.
    Thank you also to emeltee ..... I guess it could quite feasibly be febris!

I received this certificate today but was disappointed in that I was hoping that his wife would be the informant

I'm assuming 5 Park Street should be the address for the Limehouse Workhouse? I've been looking at the workhouse website at: https://www.workhouses.org.uk/imap/seast.shtml but I'm not sure which workhouse this death certificate is referring to? Can anyone help with that?

I have an ancestry subscription and some workhouse records are available ...... although some are not indexed so I want to try to trawl through the right one if I can!! Hoping that there just might be some other records to shed light on where he was living and next of kin.
    I have two death certs where relatives died in the Workhouse Infirmary, but the 1st column (place of death) is their home address.

ElaineMaul

Phew! Thank you so very much everyone for your searching. You definitely have broken a brick wall or ten for me!
    There's quite a bit there I hadn't found before so I'll need some time to digest it!

As regards the hiding of the illegitimacy ...... I think I said (not sure!) that Emma's other illegitimate child, Charles (my husband's direct ancestor), gave Thomas Vinall as his father when he was married. On the 1861 census, Thomas says Charles is his grandson, so presumably Charles did at least know that Thomas wasn't his father but said this to maintain respectability?

The past is a strange place ....... but I guess even as recently as the 1960s, being born out of wedlock was not viewed very favourably

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234