Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coulthard

Famous for offering help & advice

nb I think FS have the wrong age for William in 1861.

janbooth

Full record of the 1841 census that Grisel found (HO107/307/19, folio 16, page 26):

Edw COULTHARD 25 Engine Man Born in the county yes
    Ann do 20 no
    Margt do 5 yes
    Willm do 1 yes

Death registration in the March qtr 1842 at Auckland reg district for a William COULTHARD who could perhaps be the William above.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Full record of the 1841 census that Grisel found (HO107/307/19, folio 16, page 26):

Edw COULTHARD 25 Engine Man Born in the county yes
    Ann do 20 no
    Margt do 5 yes
    Willm do 1 yes

Death registration in the March qtr 1842 at Auckland reg district for a William COULTHARD who could perhaps be the William above.

Janet
    Thanks Jan. And from memory I think I there was an 1840 baptism, parents Edward Coulthard and Ann Charlton.

janbooth

Spot on! Baptism at Auckland St Helen on 21 June 1840 for William son of Edwd COULTHARD & Ann CHARLTON

Janet

Keith Daniells

Thanks one and all for the info and guidance. I have not had a lot to do with ancestry over the past couple of years but helping my cousin with the Coulthard's has got that flame going again. Again, thank you but may I ask just one thing. The birth certificate for William Coulthard. Dated 25 Sep 1842 at Copy Crooks, Shildon. Mother Ann Coulthard formerly Charlton. Father a Breaksman, WILLIAM Coulthard ???? Everything, as I see it fits, but William and not Edward. I cant get my head around it. Is it pure coincidence and I have the wrong certificate, could it be a transcription error back in 1842 or maybe at the GRO today? Any thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Daniells View Post
    Thanks one and all for the info and guidance. I have not had a lot to do with ancestry over the past couple of years but helping my cousin with the Coulthard's has got that flame going again. Again, thank you but may I ask just one thing. The birth certificate for William Coulthard. Dated 25 Sep 1842 at Copy Crooks, Shildon. Mother Ann Coulthard formerly Charlton. Father a Breaksman, WILLIAM Coulthard ???? Everything, as I see it fits, but William and not Edward. I cant get my head around it. Is it pure coincidence and I have the wrong certificate, could it be a transcription error back in 1842 or maybe at the GRO today? Any thoughts??
    I think probably an error. So far I can't see another William with parents William and Ann who fits. You could check the full details of the 1842 baptism already mentioned. It is on FMP and Durham Records Online and possibly on Ancestry. In the index for Durham records online it mentions abode Copy Crooks.

janbooth

I agree with Grisel that the registration record is almost certainly an error. Perhaps a bit more corroborative evidence:

FreeReg website has a transcription for the baptism of the first William in 1840 and his parents are shown as Edward COULTHARD & Ann CHARLTON, Pitman, Fielding Bridge, and he was their first son. However, wouldn't you just know it, they do not have a transcription for the baptism of the second William in 1842! But looking into the whereabouts of Copy Crooks by doing a Google search, I came across this map of Shildon collieries (https://sites.google.com/site/waggonways/nz/20/nz2025) and as you will see there is a Fieldon's Bridge Junction and a Fieldon's Bridge alongside Copy Crooks Colliery - it is a fascinating map especially if you are interested in mining and another instance of what interesting information you can find by using the Google search facility.

I have just done a scroll through on Family Search Bishop's Transcripts of Auckland St Helen 1762-1854. Page 533 shows the actual baptism of William the first but unfortunately their records for Auckland St Andrew, where William the second was baptised, seem to stop at 1798 so no joy there I'm afraid.

Janet

That's a pity about the lack of records for William 2nd. I added parents names Edward and Ann and abode Copy Crooks to the filters on the DRO site for the 1842 baptism and it still gave a hit. So looks likely. Wouldn't accept Charlton for Ann's name but thats not surprising. The full record may not give us any more information.

I wonder and don't know - if the birth cert came from the GRO and there was a transcription error, would there be any chance of the copy held at the local office in Durham being any different? And vice versa. I note also that the GRO and Free BMD seem to have Coultherd on the index but Durham has Coulthard I think.

And I do like the mining map!

Keith Daniells

I have the William 2nd Christening as 06 Nov 1842 Auckland St Andrew, Durham. Father Edward Coulthard Mother Ann from Family Search. Has to be him, surely. I think all I need to do now is find the death of William 1st, tie it in with Edward and Ann, then I can move on to the next problem no doubt waiting to be found. Thanks everybody.

janbooth

I think the burial record of William 1st is likely to be at Auckland St Andrew, Keith, as it isn't in the parish register of St Helen, and I haven't found the parish register records of St Andrew available online so far for those dates so you may have to buy the death certificate.

Janet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast