Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Devonport Edward beer and Mary Ann

Hi, looking for advice I have hit a brick wall with Edward beer according to census born 1822 devonport, married a Mary Ann posssibly in devonport. Census show him as a carpenter progressing to shipwright at later census and there is a naval record of a Edward j beer the detail fit what I have so far.
    However I can't find his birth certificate, their marriage certificate as I don't know her maiden name, no mention of them on any census prior to 1951 this could be because he was at sea?
    can anyone advise how I could find these details along with parents and sibling details of either Edward or Mary Ann?

I have most of their census details from 1861 onwards
    I believe Edward j beer is my one service number 175470. Served on agincourt 1842-1847, Wellesley 1848-1849, ?swalee 1849-50, empress or express 1852-1856 then went on to coastgaurd

Any help welcome

Regards

Tracy

Reputation beyond repute

The birth certificates of the children will provide the mother's maiden name (or the GRO historical indexes if you don't want to buy a certificate)

Bear in mind that the maiden name may not be the name she used when she married.

Reputation beyond repute

Edward Beer married Mary Ann Moon on 6 Mar 1848 at Devonport.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Tcuzz70,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Thanks to Peter's info about the marriage date I can point you directly to the marriage certificate of Edward and Mary Ann. It's online on Findmypast. If you don't already have a subscription to FMP then your local library might have free access. Alternatively you can take out a 14-day free trial (though remember to cancel before you're charged for continuing your sub), or you can buy 'pay-as-you-go' credits. The marriage actually took place in Stoke Damerel parish, and confirms Edward naval history for 1848.
    You might want to make careful note of his name as it could make a difference when looking for his baptism. You won't find birth certificates as we know them for Edward and Mary because civil registration only began on 1 July 1837.

I notice that there's a gap in the children's ages so some children may have been born but died very young so check out the GRO's historic births and deaths index https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    That's also the site you need to order BMD certificates. (Do not order through third parties such as Ancestry, because they will charge you an arm and a leg for writing to the GRO for you.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I found this on family search before reading Pam's cryptic comment about Edward's name

Baptism
    James Edward Beer
    12 May 1822
    Plymouth, Devon, England
    Father John Beer
    Mother Mary Beer

Sometimes I am not sure in which county a town is so I resort to Wikipedia and it tells me
    "Devonport, formerly named Plymouth Dock or just Dock, is a district of Plymouth in the English county of Devon, although it was, at one time, the more important settlement. It became a county borough in 1889."

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is another baptism at the same place with same parent's names
    James Clement Beer 3 June 1832
    There are many other Beer baptisms with the same parent's names but in different locations.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The marriage certificate has had Edward added almost as an afterthought!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all for the help. I am payed member on ancestry at the moment. It does not find any of the above no matter how I am searching. I will definitely be logging back into fmp and a few others. Which would you all recommend as my purse is not deep ��
    Main areas of family are England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales , France
    Thank you all so far for your help ��
    Regards
    Tracy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Tracy,

There is no one site which will have all the records you want so you have to be a bit clever.

First of all, if you're near a biggish town check out the local library to see if they have free access to Ancestry or Findmypast.
    If you're anywhere near Canterbury there's a LDS (Mormon) Family History Centre there and they usually have access to one or both sites. Downside is that they have limited opening hours. Upside is that they have online access to some parish registers/records for which you can see the transcriptions at home, but not the image. It's always best to look at an actual image because usually not every detail is transcribed and it's the details which often give clues.
    https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Can...History_Centre

Take advantage of sites such as FreeBMD, FreeREG, and FreeCEN, and Familysearch itself. .
    Check out the individual forums on BG. Some of them have 'stickies' of useful (usually free) resources at the top of the page.

With Ancestry and FMP check what records/images they have. FMP have an A-Z of record sets which I find easier to use than Ancestry's card catalog. Both sites have pay-as-you-go credits, and I think you can also join each one for a month, though if you're going to keep joining every other month then it would be almost as cheap to join for a year anyway. (The trick is to start of list of records you want to check out, and when you have quite a few then join for a month and get your money's worth. ) FMP have a fourteen day free trial, but you do need to make sure you cancel the 'renewal' before your credit card is automatically debited.
    Often throughout the year Ancestry and FMP have days/weekend when some, possibly all. of their records can be accessed for free. e.g. all military records around 11 November, or all US records around 4 July.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”