Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

London Evening Standard, 22 Aug 1908
    "DISASTERS AND MARINE NOTES - Charmian schooner yacht, from Portland, arrived Salcombe and reports, about twenty miles West Portland Bill, snapped her spinnaker boom, spinnaker holed three places, galley skylight broken, brass frame bent, and chimney wrenched from skylight and broken below deck. Leaving tomorrow for Southampton where she will repair - Plymouth Aug 21st""
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for that. Have not seen it previously. Opens up some new lines of research.

The Telegraph, Aug 25 1908
    "SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE - WRECKS AND CASUALTIES (from Lloyds Aug 24)
    Charmian (schooner yacht) whilst getting under weigh on Sunday fouled the Huguenot (a yacht). The latter had rail and stanchions damaged, also dinghy smashed, but the former proceded to sea apparently undamaged - Salcombe 24"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just a few snippets I picked up mainly from the Channel Islands news papers.

In Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 18 June 1900 there is an entry about 'The KaisersCup'

1904 seems to have been a busy year

08 July 1904 - Shields Daily Gazette - South Shields, Tyne and Wear, England
    *YACHT IN THE TYNE Much interest has been centred upon the arrival of the fine racing yacht Charmian in the Tyne. She is owned by a Tyneside resident, Mr Atkinson, and has just competed in the racing at Kiel for the German Emperor's cup. She carries fourteen

31 March 1906 - Jersey Independent and Daily Telegraph - Saint Helier, Jersey, Jersey
    *Cycle Accident.— On Thurday at about 3 o'clock Mrs. Marett. wife of Captain Marett of the Charmian, was cycling into town when in turning the corner of Conway-street she collided with a trap driven by Mr. Tonzel of the Paragon

12 May 1906 - Jersey Independent and Daily Telegraph - Saint Helier, Jersey, Jersey
    The schooner yacht Charmian, which has laid-up iu St. Heller's harbour for the last tw> winters,

Jersey Independent and Daily Telegraph 23 June 1906
    June 13 bound from Southampton for Dromtheim...loss of top mast

Jersey Independent and Daily Telegraph 08 September 1906
    La Roquet Regatta First prize to Captain Marret of yacht Charmian
    Jersey Independent and Daily Telegraph 09 March 1907
    Arrival of the Charmian and New crew after laying up for the winter in France

Portsmouth Evening News 27 March 1907

The yatch Charmian...from Jersey ...will be commissioned at once

Jersey Independent and Daily Telegraph 01 February 1908
    Mr Marrett was an ex Captain of the Charmian according to this news report
    Motor cycle accident 3 Lucky escapes

Starting to feel at home

Thanks to Geneius and Helachau for the "Newspaper" articles and to everyone for their various comments and suggestions.

Many of the articles I have on file, especially those from the Jersey publications and go back to pre-digitized days, you know when Dinosaurs still roamed about. Yesterday I started a new search of publications.

Family legend always said that Grandfather left Jersey on a sailboat that went to America, but like so many "legends" there is likely a mixing of stories as "Charmian" wasn't sold to an American until the 1940's. But that is a different story.

I am still not 100% with "Souvenir of Salcombe" and at minus zero for the last word, but am guessing a surname/nickname ?

I did quick search for Beppi* and Beffie* and will pursue that further.

I know when, where, to whom and siblings of my Grandfather. The family always spoke of him as being away a great deal and they knew he crewed on Cargo and Passenger ships to Australia and South Africa. He returned to marry my Grandmother and they presented my Aunt to be Christened at their wedding. Grandmother died in 1921 and my mother saw him just once after that in about 1923 (she was 9). His son, (my Uncle) saw him a few more times in Southampton up to about 1926'ish but was not seen in Jersey.

Family legend says he remarried in South Africa and drowned there. I do have reference to a Frederick Ahier having drowned but my last attempt to find out more was unsuccessful and I haven't been down that road for quite some time.

There is a very obtuse link between the "Charmian" and Downton Abbey, but I don't wish to hog the forum.

Thanks again and please post all and any ideas.
    Last edited by Peter_NB; 14-06-2017 at 1:12 PM. Reason: spillin mystaik

Name well known on Brit-Gen

they presented my Aunt to be Christened at their wedding
    I think there is a reference to this Aunt on the marriage cert I looked at on line...now where was IT?

On ancestry

was presented at this marriage a child Freda Laura born January 2nd 1911 whom the parties have

Not sure if you have seen theses photo's of Laura VIBERT

https://vibertfamily.com/?page_id=4266

Starting to feel at home

Hello Geneius.

Thank you for taking the time to look at the family history. I actually have all the photos shown there and contributed copies of some of them. Unfortunately there are errors and omissions that I have tried to have corrected, without success. I spent a lot of time in Jersey and knew many of those people.

I have researched and documented a lot of the family, however there is one gap that has eluded me.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ghlight=vibert

There is a photo of Edward on the site you linked to.

Starting to feel at home

back to the photo, text on back.

New Brunswick has a large Acadian population, (French) and have a language "Chiac" which is not what one would call France-French, as is the Jersey "Patois" At dinner last night with our Acadian friends the text was viewed and discussed.

First word, possibly "Joreau 2" A player or competitor. of as of. Some acadians use "of" in place of the regular French.

Could the first line refer to the Charmian as a competitor, or player in an event. Or could it be the name of another schooner
    "Joreau 2" ? The last word, starting with an uppercase letter, a noun.

The last name could very well be someone's name as I have a found a few that are the same or similar.

I know that several have suggested "Souvenir of Salcombe" and yes it does fit the context and the Charmian did visit Salcombe, but I just can't make the letters fit.

Maybe fresh eyes and fresh ideas ?

Perhaps the word is "Taleruhen" or "Taleruher". The first letter could be a J
    I wish I could be more help
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12