Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default EDWARD JACOB JONES-PHOEBE JACOBS

Dear Yoel
    I have tried to send you a reply to your private message regarding seeking my help in researching Edward Jacob Jones and Phoebe Jacobs. The message I sent was returned twice. In answer to your seeking data on your Jones/Jacobs lines here is an initial very brief outline.
    First of all, there are numbers of Family trees on the lines on Ancestry.Com. These trees provide a wide range of data on the families with sources of records.
    With regard to my own Jacobs lines there is the marriage between Catherine Jones b abt 1841 Hobart Tasmania and Lawrence Jacobs Lawrence relates to me via his father Moses Jacobs and his father Henry Jacobs my 4x great grandfather. I do not have any data on Catherine Jones to confirm whether or not she associates to your Jones/Jacobs.
    Here is some brief data on your own lines:
    Edward Jacobs Jones- Australia Death Index b abt 1829 died 1912 Victoria age 83 St Kilda Victoria-parents Abraham Jacobs Jones and Miriam Sophia Goldsmid.

There is data on Edward's parents which I can post on.
    Please post further data on your lines so that other researchers can identify possible links to you.
    I also have Goldsmid/Hart relatives which I have posted on and will check to see if Sophia Goldsmid has any relationship to them.
    Phillip

Here is data on Abraham Jacob Jones which includes cross references to his wife Sophia, some of their children and other relatives:
    The Jewish Victorian: Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 edited and transcribed by Doreen Berger, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd- Death 2.3.1870 at Sittingbourne Kent, of 40 Newington Crescent SE aged 66 years....A spasm of the heart was assigned as the immediate cause of death. The deceased was known as one of the founders of the Jews' Orphan Asylum in the Tenterden Ground, the children of which institution were drawn up near the Great Synagogue at the time of passing the funeral cortege."
    Celia Marks daughte-M Marks son in law; Mrs S B Cohen daughte;Rose Freedman daughter-Gabriel Freedman son in law; Mrs Goldsmid sister; Mrs M Jacobs sister; Mrs Jacobson sister- Marriage Weds 27.8.1862 by Rev Dr Adler , third daughter of Mr A J Jones of Newington Crescent to Mr M Marks of Birmingham; Marriage 17.8.1864 at the residence father by Rev Dr Adler.. 4th daughter of Mr A J Jones of 40 Newington Crescent Kennington Road Surrey to Gabriel Freedman of Dowlais Merthyr Tydvil
    Death- Thursday 25.7.1861 suddenly, at the house of her nephew, Lewis Cohen of Birmingham, Sophia, beloved wife of A J Jones of Newington Crescent, late of Leman Street, in the 58th year of her age.
    Phillip

See Cemetery Scribes website- Sophia Goldsmid ID 1121 Sarah Chava b Yechiel Michael Ha Levi 1803-1861; Abraham Jacob Jones (Abraham b Aharon) 1805-1870 ID 1120 -2nd Marriage to Rosetta HURST in 1865
    Phillip

Deaths- The Ballarat Courier(Victoria) Fri 11 Sept 1914-On the 10th Sept at 21 Brighton Road St.Kilda, Phoebe Jones relict of the late E J Jones and beloved mother of A J Jones, Ballarat aged 81 years
    The Argus(Melbourne) Mon 9 Sept 1912- On the 8th Sept at the residence of his daughter Mrs M Friedman 32 Carlisle Street St.Kilda Edward J Jones (late of Geelong) the beloved husband of Phoebe Jones in his 84th year.
    Phillip

See the thread Louisson (Isaac) and Pyke Families London started 25.12.2013- post 26.12.2013 referred to the Australia Death Index record for Phoebe Jones-Phoebe Jones Death 1914 St.Kilda Victoria age 81 father Michael Jacobs mother Rachel. The posts provide a range of data on the Jones/Jacobs lines.
    Phillip

Death at her residence 40 Mansell Street on Friday 6.12.1861 Mrs E COHEN. At the same address and on Tueday 10.12.1861, her sister Mrs P GOLDSMID (widow of MICHAEL GOLDSMID) Aged 98 years."United in life-death did not separate them"
    Relatives- Joseph Goldsmid son, Julia Goldsmid granddaughter, Mrs E Cohen sister,Coleman Cohen brother in law- The Jewish Victorian: Genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd.
    GRO Death Certificate
    10 Dec 1861 - 40 Mansell Street Whitechapel Middlesex
    Phoebe Goldsmid 99 years widow of Michael Goldsmid Grocer cause of death Natural Decay-Informant Abraham J Jones Present at death 40 Newington Crescent Surrey

See JewishGen UK Data base
    Jewish Surnames in London Registered Insurance Policies
    Michael Goldsmid grocer 119 Rosemary Lane 6.7.1802 and in 1814 at same address Kent Directory
    Michael Goldsmid grocer 19 Rosemary Lane Holden 1799
    Phillip

Yoel
    You should take a close look at the British Jewry Archives 2006 under Jacobs family of Geelong. There are a range of lister posts. Importantly, one post refers to Morris Jacobs son of Michael Jacobs and Rachel Joseph and states that Michael and Rachel were dead by 1847.
    The Australian Death Index for Phoebe Jones nee Jacobs refers to her parents as Michael and Rachel. If,they are Michael Jacobs and Rachel Joseph here is their Marriage- GSM 215/21 Michael Jacobs -Meir father's Hebrew name Eliahu-Spouse Rachel Joseph father's Hebrew name Shmuel Married 8 Jan 1823
    1841 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) HO107 716 12 13 20 32 17
    Rosemary Lane
    Michael Jacobs 40 Clothes Dealer born in county
    Rachel Jacobs 35
    Morris 13
    Samuel 11
    Solomon 7
    PHOEBE 8
    Elizabeth 4
    All above born in county

Phillip

Marriage -GSM 150/49 Edward Jacob JONES Hebrew name Ari father's Hebrew name Abraham- spouse Phoebe JACOBS Hebrew name Fradel- father's Hebrew name Meir -Marriage Great Synagogue London 6 July 1853

See JewishGen UK Data base- Jewish London Insurance Policies
    Michael Jacobs clothes salesman 128 Rosemary Lane 26.1.1826-32 and then to 1853 (was this policy taken over by his son or other relative?); Michael Jacobs 126 Rosemary Lane Sun 1830s; Michael Jacobs slop seller Pigot 1827-28 -128 Rosemary Lane
    See 1851 Anglo Jews Data base
    Phoebe Jacobs 128 Rosemary Lane ( Royal Mint Street) in 1830s-40s and then in 1851 HO107 1546 344 Dress maker -her children are listed as: Rachel 1854; Julia 1855;Michael 1856;Miriam Sophia 1858;Albert Edward 1860;Elizabeth 1862; Alfred Henry 1865; Abraham Jacobs 1868;Violet May 1878

Phillip

Thank you Phililip, you are very knowledgeable.
    I am a descendant of Alfred Henry Jones (the seventh son of Edward Jacob & Phoebe Jones). Alfred Henry was married in September 1895 to Rosalia Sara Goldstein (a daughter of Albert & Bathsheba Goldstein) of Sydney. My grandmother and my great-uncle tell me that this line of family is related to a Lord George Gordon. Many children in the family carry the name George Gordon, which further hint to this. Would you have any information on this?

Yoel
    I will look in more detail regarding a possible connection between Lord George Gordon and your lines. First of all, are you looking at Lord George Gordon 1751-1793 who was a Jewish convert? If so, there appears to be no reference in the data to any marriage or children. The family trees which have Albert Goldstein and his marriage to Elizabeth Bathsheba Gordon indicate that she was the daughter of George Gordon and Sarah Asher. This George Gordon 1801-1880 is recorded as a superintendant of customs in 1871 census. This line is not Jewish nor is Sarah Asher because they were married in 1826 Church of England Tower Hamlets Wapping.
    It would prove a great help if you posted data on what your grandmother and great uncle know about Lord George Gordon and why they think your lines may relate to him.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast