+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Brick wall demolition expert!
    Thanks

Yoel
    I am also trying to work out why Bathsheba Goldstein nee Gordon's father was called Gershon on her Rookwood Jewish Cemetery 1896 record whereas Esther Aaron (s) nee Gordon's father's Hebrew name was Yisroel 1919.
    Is this just a naming tradition or was George a Jew?
    There are questions that need answering about this line.
    Phillip

Brick wall demolition expert!
    Thanks

Yoel
    In #23 you referred to one of your ancestors having links to the Auxiliary of the Synagogue of Scotland. If you read JewishGen JCR -UK Scottish Jewry in Victorian Britain ( Glasgow) Part 2 T Benski, 2016 you will see reference to the amalgamation in 1885 of this Auxiliary Synagogue which was in Glasgow. The paper also refers to the influx of Eastern European Jews into Glasgow particularly from Lithuania during the latter part of the 19th Century.
    There are also other sources on the Origins of Scottish Jewry including those of A Levy and J Otto written in the 1940s-50s.
    Importantly, these papers list names of individuals in Glasgow from the early 1800s including burial details.
    Names including Levy, Levi,Cohen, Harris, Michael, Davis, Asher, Prince, Simons, Crawcour, Morris, Samuel, Solomon, Levenston among others are recorded.
    My own interest in Glasgow Jewry relates to my Crawcour and Simons relatives in particular the descendants of Barnett Crawcour brother of David Crawcour my 4x great grandfather.
    You might want to share the data from these sources which are online with your family to see if they recognise surnames.
    Phillip

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8