Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Yoel
    I am also trying to work out why Bathsheba Goldstein nee Gordon's father was called Gershon on her Rookwood Jewish Cemetery 1896 record whereas Esther Aaron (s) nee Gordon's father's Hebrew name was Yisroel 1919.
    Is this just a naming tradition or was George a Jew?
    There are questions that need answering about this line.
    Phillip

Yoel
    In #23 you referred to one of your ancestors having links to the Auxiliary of the Synagogue of Scotland. If you read JewishGen JCR -UK Scottish Jewry in Victorian Britain ( Glasgow) Part 2 T Benski, 2016 you will see reference to the amalgamation in 1885 of this Auxiliary Synagogue which was in Glasgow. The paper also refers to the influx of Eastern European Jews into Glasgow particularly from Lithuania during the latter part of the 19th Century.
    There are also other sources on the Origins of Scottish Jewry including those of A Levy and J Otto written in the 1940s-50s.
    Importantly, these papers list names of individuals in Glasgow from the early 1800s including burial details.
    Names including Levy, Levi,Cohen, Harris, Michael, Davis, Asher, Prince, Simons, Crawcour, Morris, Samuel, Solomon, Levenston among others are recorded.
    My own interest in Glasgow Jewry relates to my Crawcour and Simons relatives in particular the descendants of Barnett Crawcour brother of David Crawcour my 4x great grandfather.
    You might want to share the data from these sources which are online with your family to see if they recognise surnames.
    Phillip

Phillip
    I have come across a marriage document recording the marriage of Esther (Gordon) and Solomon Aarons. In the document it mentions that although her father wasn't Jewish, her mother was.
    Perhaps a little bit more clarity.
    Yoel

Yoel
    Would you mind posting data on this marriage. I have Aarons aka Aaron relatives and any data which might show connections would be appreciated. I speculated that Sarah Asher aka Hasher was a Jew given the marriages of some of the children.
    However, there is a potential issue. We have data which indicated that a Sarah Asher was baptised so I am wondering if this is the right Sarah. What do you think?
    Phillip

Phillip
    The Hebrew name of Solomon is Shlomo Ben Akiva.
    They were married at Melbourne Hebrew Congregation by Rabbi Moses Rintel on Wednesday, 12 December, 1855.
    Solomon is recorded as being born in Birmingham, England. His profession at the time of his marriage was an Auctioneer. His age at the time was 26. His father's name was John Aaron whose profession was a pawnbroker. His mother was Matilda Aaron, formerly Solomon.
    Esther is recorded as being born in London, England. Her age at the time of her marriage was 19. Her father was George Gordon whose profession was a custom house officer. Her mother was Sarah Asher (maiden name).
    I hope this helps.
    Yoel

Yoel
    Many thanks for providing further data on the marriage of Solomon and Esther. You mentioned in #73 that George Gordon was not Jewish but Sarah Asher was according to data in the marriage document. Are there specific statements regarding this? Is the document a civil record or a ketubah written in Hebrew?
    Phillip

Yoel
    I will post on the John Aaron family and have noted that one of his children married into a line which also has Aarons. This Aarons line was one I did significant research on with one of my Aaron aka Aarons distant cousins. We posted data on the line on the Catherine Aarons/s dentist 1851 thread- Catherine was aka Kitty Crawcour daughter of Samuel Crawcour my 5x great grandfather.
    At the time, we could see no known connection between the Aaron Aarons of Knowles Court and our own Aaron Aarons.
    In addition, I have Alexander/Crawcour lines but have yet to determine whether or not the Alexander who married into the Gordon et al related lines has any connection to my lines.
    The Marriage of Esther Gordon to Solomon Aaron/s makes sense via your private message. It would be interesting to know Sarah Asher aka Hasher ( I now suspect the Hasher is a Yiddish pronunciation and noted on the Banns for Sarah and Gordon that she made a x mark for her signature - is the last name possibly Ashcher?)
    Phillip

Yoel
    A note for you- when you trace your Gordon/Asher lines further via Esther Gordon and Solomon Aaron you will see on various family trees that the Aaron pawnbrokers of Birmingham relate to my Nerwich/Jacobs cousins through marriage. See the BG Forum Jewish Roots thread " Nerwich and Jacobs lines" started by me 12.06.2012 and also the detailed notes made by my cousin Debbie Bozkurt on the Jacobstree website.
    I suspect that there are other relationships.
    Phillip

Phillip
    In the 1881 census, at the address of Selina Gordon/Greener/Nott/Potter, St Peter St Mile End Old Town London, there is the record of a Sarah Gordon visitor widow 70 b Aldgate. (#20)
    Assuming that this is indeed Sarah Asher/Gordon the mother of Selina, we see that she was still living in 1881 and that she had family in Mile End.
    Based on this, I would say that the best option for the death record of Sarah Gordon would be Dec qtr 1886 age 74 Mile End 1c 384 b circa 1812. (#33)
    What are your thoughts on this?
    I assume that the baptism record that you are referring to is the London Baptism Records - St. Andrew Holborn London July 25 1802 Sarah ASHER parents James and Sarah Asher - Saffron Hill. (#43)
    Sarah’s DOB is circa 1806 (1841 census), 1802 (1851 census), 1804 (1861 census), 1803 (1871 census), 1811 (1881 census), 1812 (death certificate). (#32)
    I would like to confirm exactly who Sarah Asher/Hasher/Gordon was. However, I still have insufficient data to do so.
    Yoel

Yoel
    The GRO Death Certificate for a Sarah Gordon in 1886 may be the correct one but you will not discover the names of her parents because they are not detailed as per the Victoria and other Australian records.
    The toiveld in a mikvah before a Beth Din of three judges recorded in the marriage document for Esther Gordon to Solomon Aaron suggests to me a Conversion to Judaism because Esther's mother Sarah Asher was recorded as a Jew but George Gordon was a gentile.
    I wonder what data the other marriage records have for the siblings of Esther who married Jews.

A small note- I have been looking up the addresses for George/Sarah in the British Newspaper Archives and noted- Morning [Post Friday 4 Feb 1881 at 57 Emmott Street Mile End ( this is the address for Sarah Gordon nee Asher and her daughter in the 1881 Census 3 April)- Death from Small Pox 2 children ages 8 and 9. The newspaper gives no names of the children nad there a small pox epidemic in London at the time.
    I did a very brief look at Free BMD to see if I could identify the children but could not see Potter/Griener but you make want to take a closer look.
    Phillip

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast