Hi, Everyone!

I'm looking for information about how to trace my 4th GGrandfather, William MEASOM (also possibly named William Oliver Measom).

I have found the following info from various sources over the last 20 years or so:
  • First name is William
  • Parents unknown
  • probably born in Spratton, Northamptonshire, possibly born in London
  • Was in a London Orphanage
  • was apprenticed to a Cordwainer with the last name MEASOM in London
  • Left London for Burton Overy, Leicestershire
  • Married Sarah Simpson in 1794
  • William died 25 Dec 1864 in Burton Overy
  • Sarah died August 1849 in Burton Overy

His backstory:
William Measom was born about 1772 at Spratton, Northampshire, England. He was placed in an orphanage. When he was old enough he was apprenticed as a cordwainer (shoemaker) in London. The boy had been called William and he adopted the name of his employer which was Measom. When he finished his training he walked 91 miles to Burton Overy, Leicester, England seeking work.

He met Sarah Simpson, born December 27, 1771 at Kibworth, Leicestershire, England. They were married April 21 1794 at Kibworth, Leicestershire, England. They lived at Burton Overy where William worked at his trade. They had nine sons and the last born was a daughter who died when she was five years old.

William did not belong to the Church of England.

William died Christmas day, December 25, 1864 of old age at Burton Overy, Billesdon, Leicester, England, at the age of 92 years (He died in the sub-district of Billesdon).
Sarah Measom died August 9, 1849 at Burton Overy, Leicestershire, England.

My Questions:

1. How can I find the Cordwainer Master "MEASOM", of London? (where can I look?, what questions should I ask to determine a solution?, etc.)
  2. Is there a list of Orphanages in London where I could possibly find William's incarceration? (are any online?, would this be satisfied by a visit to the National Archives at Kew?, etc.)

Thank you, in advance, all knowledgeable members!!!

Megan in Sydney, Australia