Default MacKenzie of Corrie & Loch Broom

Hello Everyone,
    My family search has led me to Loch Broom in 1773, three MacLennan brothers boarded the ship Hector for a new life in Nova Scotia. I know their father was in the battle of Culloden in 1745, his name was Alexander and he was a Blacksmith.
    I know the government forces burned a ton of records when they torched homes, but I think that there maybe some MacKenzie clan records that show they lived near Loch Broom. Does anyone know or have any resources so that I my acquire this information?? I did take a trip to Ullapool and the highland archives in Inverness. I also went to the national records office in Edinburgh, and was told records that old would be with the clan papers and MacKenzie family.

Thanks for your time.
    Vince

If that's what they said, your best place to start is the Clan Mackenzie Society. There is a US branch.
    Go to Electricscotland dot com, select Clans and then Mackenzie. There's quite a bit of interest including Clan papers and contact information for the various societies.

However... people were not as addicted to paper records back then. People who lived quietly, paid on time, etc, didn't leave much of a paper trail. In addition, damp, fire, War and the acid ink they used have all done very little for record survival. Also, Clan members were not necessarily all related. I've left a collection on articles about sources, etc, at the top of the General Scottish forum.

The Statistical Account for the area was written in the 1790s, and should give you background info. The URL will be in one of those messages.

PS I've just noticed that this was your first message. welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If that's what they said, your best place to start is the Clan Mackenzie Society. There is a US branch.
    Go to Electricscotland dot com, select Clans and then Mackenzie. There's quite a bit of interest including Clan papers and contact information for the various societies.

However... people were not as addicted to paper records back then. People who lived quietly, paid on time, etc, didn't leave much of a paper trail. In addition, damp, fire, War and the acid ink they used have all done very little for record survival. Also, Clan members were not necessarily all related. I've left a collection on articles about sources, etc, at the top of the General Scottish forum.

The Statistical Account for the area was written in the 1790s, and should give you background info. The URL will be in one of those messages.

PS I've just noticed that this was your first message. welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Thanks so much for your assistance!
    Vince

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Vince. My name is David MacLellan,I am a descendent of James MacLellan one of the three brothers that emigrated on the Hector, the other 2 brothers where John and William. I am also in touch with Scott MacLellan a descendant of William. I have quite a lot of info on the James line and Scott has a lot on the William line, and I have come across info on the John line, which we would be willing to share. We have not been able to get any info on the MacLennan line in Scotland from prior to their emigration.I would be very interested in the Alexander MacLennan you speak of and any further info we may be able to share. I am going hiking in Scotland in May and will spend a few days in Loch Broom area afterwards. would love to have more info before I leave. Hope you receive this reply as I am responding to quite an old post from 2017.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    I'm sure that by now you're aware that scottish research gets harder before 1855 when BMDs were introduced. However, quite a lot can be done with Parish and other records.
    If you look HERE, you will be taken to the General Scottish Forum where you will find a small collection of posts (all markey "sticky" about sources, etc, at the top. Hopefull, you will find useful info there.