Thread: Help Needed

Default Help Needed

I am tracing the history of my Great Uncle who died on the 8th June 1917.

I have found out that at the time of his death he was part of the 9th Battalion Welsh Regiment and is buried at St Omer.
    I also know that he was in the 10th Stationary hospital in St Omer at the time of his death.

Having searched the relevant war diaries i am assuming he was injured at the Battle of Messines.

I have also discovered that he was wounded 4 times during his service in the armed forces.

My problem is that there are not enough records to state where he was injured but have discovered that when he enlisted he was part of the 3rd Battalion and in 1915 when he was injured he was part of the 2nd Battalion.

His name was John Lewis with a service number being 1382.

My question is why would he have changed Battalions and would he have kept the same service number throughout?

Thank you

A fountain of knowledge

Men were changed from one battalion & one regiment all the time during WWI, to make new Battalions and replenish old ones where men had been removed due to death or injury.

The number is regimentally issued: it would change if he changed regiments or if the regiment re-numbered itself.

A fountain of knowledge

A few oddities:
    He has a medal index card with a disembarkation date in 1914 yet he was awarded the 1914/15 star as he missed the cut off date by 1 week - a new one on me, but I've checked and the 1914 star only went to those in the theatre of war by 22/23 November, he landed on the 30/11.

His number was obviously confused with another J Lewis 1832 who deserted!
    As his MIC is annoted with a comment regarding 1832 Lewis, J so I checked that card also.

There is no record within the MH106 hospital records so far appearing (6 months ish to complete these registers and even then only a maximum of 1 in 20 survive) and no service record unfortunately.

thank you for your assistance and this has now caused me some further work.I started this based on the 100th anniversary of his death next week. He is buried in St Omer and we have a letter from the 10th Stationary hospital to say he was there. I assume he was injured at Messine ridge and somehow got from there to St Omer in a day and then died.

I have a frame which includes his medals which shows a REG.no. of 686451 Does anyone know what that is?

In addition have found material rectangular piece of cloth which has a red 5 above a red 5 on a dark blue background, does anyone know what this is

Thank you

Is that number actually on the rim of the medals?

I have a framed set of medals and it is written in white ink on the mount underneath the dedication as per photo attached.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Are you able to turn the star over or look at the rim of the other two medals? They will give his regimental number.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

That is confusing, the only person with that regimental number is - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D3441805 ?
    According to his medal index card and roll, he kept the same number throughout 1382, so no idea why that would be there, unless the frame was re-used?
    The 55 patch looks like it could be German, but I can find nothing to confirm.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.