Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Unusual Given Name

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but I thought I'd give it a go.

My mother has been doing a lot of genealogy over the last several years. Tracing her mother's side of the family has led to Ireland, specifically County Kilkenny. In the course of her discoveries, she found an unusual (to my mind) given name of one of our relatives. The eldest child, in that family of approximately seven children, was called Anastasia. That's the sort of name that feels more Mediterranean and further points East, not mid-19th Century Ireland. Can someone shed light on this and how she might've been given such an unusual name?

Thanks!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

From Wiki.

'It is the name of several early saints; including Anastasia of Sirmium, a central saint from the 2nd century who is commemorated during the second Mass on Christmas Day each year according to the traditional calendar of the Roman Catholic Church'.

From - Behind the Name.dot.com
    As an English name it has been in use since the Middle Ages.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

What year are you talking about? My first thought was that she was perhaps named after Anastacia, youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas of Russia who was killed in 1917.
    However, you mention mid-19th century, in which case unlikely.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

As Steve says, it will be after the Saint.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lol Pam, my aunt thought the same thing and I said no to her, too. Thanks for your reply Steve. I'd kinda glanced over that response and thought it was too easy an answer.