sandgrown

Default Stocker timeline

Family lore has my Stocker ancestor immigrating to Cornwall in the 18th century from Austria. Recognizing Stocker as a German /Austrian family name, perhaps all Cornish Stockers are descended from German / Austrian immigrants. Can anyone pinpoint the first Stocker record in Cornwall? Thanks.

Hi
    doing a search I can see references made to Stocker being of German origin but then there are also references to it being in the UK from as early as 1450.
    An explanation as to how it started "the derivation is from the Olde English pre 7th Century 'stocc' meaning 'stock' or 'trunk of a tree." So maybe not necessarily of German origin.
    The earliest record I can see in Cornwall on familysearch.org is 1727 (very quick search) How far back have you got with your Stocker line?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There are many probates of wills for Stockers of Cornwall the first being in 1547 for an Alice Stocker of Sidmouth, Cornwall.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

sandgrown

I too have found the olde English derivation from the stump (stock) of a tree (thanks for your reminder). The very early Stocker will (thanks for Alice's will in 1547) tends to favour that derivation rather than German. Family lore has an Austrian Stocker migrating to Cornwall for mine work about 1800. I have my Stocker ancestors in Hackney in the 1841 census. I can find neither marriage nor baptism for George and Elizabeth. Neither can I find baptisms for the children. The 1841 census enumerator recorded the head of household as "George STOKER". I have rationalized this spelling as enumerator license because all subsequent generations were recorded as " STOCKER". Supposing that family lore was wrong, I should look to Northumberland for my ancestors where STOKER prevailed.