Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Well I will go to the foot of our stairs

I have just been browsing around messing about ancestry and came across a burial for a Walter Thomas Whitbread died in 1875 age 1 I noted the address was Gloucester Terrace Kew Oh thought I, that address seems familiar My Whitbreads lived at no 4 Gloucester Terrace and I used to pass this each time I drove to Kew to the National Archives not realising the connection even though I had a weird feeling each time I passed. I found another burial record for the said Walter Thomas Whitbread which gave a fuller address and blow me down it was no 4 Gloucester Terrace it ties in with the time the Whitbreads lived there (in between census for 1871 and 1881) the Whitbread girls were unmarried so either it was a child of theirs or the child of their Brother Thomas and sister in law Annie (who died in Bexley Aslyum in 1913) Annies medical records said she mentioned a boy who died could this be the one. Needless to say the death and birth certificates will be on order asap. Hope they come before I go on holiday!!!!! So excited to see who this poor little one was related to

Hi jane
    the first thing that caught my eye about your post was its title. It brought back so many memories from my childhood in Bolton. So thank you for that
    What a great happenstance for you. it is great what a doodling around can bring up for us isn't it?

I looked on the GRO index for the birth of a Walter Thomas Whitbread and there is one in the Dec 1/4 1893 Poplar Union, mmn Hutchinson.
    I see a death reg June 1/4 Richmond Surrey age 1 which would fit with a birth Dec 1/4 1893. Does the name Hutchinson fit in to the family?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina there is a Hutchinson connection but am unsure if this connects but looks very intriguing Annie Whitbread nee Hutchinson died in Bexley asylum in 1913 she had been there for many years I know she was quite old when she died. I will bear this in mind because goodness knows what could come of it. I will be obsessing with the postman again "happy days" I will check how old Annie was when she died but before she went to Bexley she was in and out of the Workhouse at Greenwich her body was taken for "medical" as it was stated she had no next of kin or friends who could pay for her burial. I have yet to find a burial if I ever will I have great doubts.

Oh Jane what a sad, sad, life for Annie..
    Christina
    William Burroughs

It is I am glad that although we were always told Thomas Whitbread was my grandmas father we are now quite sure he was only her uncle Annie was a sister in law and it makes me so sad to think that this lady ended up the way she did. We have a photo of her in her medical file which our family are proud to see of her even though it looks staged with the clothes etc. at least we have now re claimed her in memory and she is cared for once again. Can I ask where you found the details of Walter in 1893 as I cant find anything on ancestry is this another site I perhaps need to subscribe to albeit on a short term basis

Hi Jane
    the birth details are on the GRO index which now gives the mother's maiden name for births. If a maiden name isn't given then it is usually assumed that it was an illegitimate birth. Using the GRO and FreeBMD together works well although the GRO index for now is only births and deaths and births up to 1916. It is free although you do have to sign up.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Well I will go to the foot of our stairs
    A Lancastrian lass

A Lancashire saying!!

I always thought of myself a Midlander lived the first 16 years of life there, then East Cheshire of Cheshire parents 12 miles south of the city and with the events of this week have made me realise I am an adopted Mancunian!

I have just checked and the birth certificate for walter in 1873 mothers maiden name Hutchinson so this could be the child Annie Whitbread spoke about certificates will reveal all. So sad he died 18 months later.

I am a midlander a brummie but I think we have so many different people who have moved from all over the country to the midlands from Scottish, Irish Liverpool its amazing people move for work etc. I think this is where we here so many different sayings my mum was from Derbyshire so more says from her

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    A Lancashire saying!!
    Hey, gerroff!

My mother, a proud Yorkshirewoman born in 1901, would quote this saying on an almost daily basis. When I used it as a heading on another forum, I was ticked off for not completing the phrase. Apparently, it should be "I'll go to the foot of our stairs and look up"!

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast