Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Parish register films held at London LDS Kew

I know that somewhere in the forum there's mention of the PR films held by the London FamilySearch Centre at Kew are being transferred to the Society of Genealogists.
    A moving date has now been arranged.

The last date to view the PRs at Kew will be 31 May.

The 60,000 films start transferring to the SoG on 13 June and (reading between the lines of the SoG's latest newsletter) it's expected that it will take about a fortnight to put the films into cabinets.

The Society is closed on Mondays, so the films might be available for viewing from Tuesday 27 June. Do not quote me on that though! If/when I hear anything definite I'll let you know.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I posted a further update between the date of the first post in this thread and today (post #5 in this thread)
    The latest SoG newsletter says that the films have arrived and have been 'homed', and they hope to have them available for viewing sometime in Aug
    The August SoG newsletter announces that the films will be available for viewing from this Saturday 5 August. https://www.
    sog.org.uk/uploads/Newsletters/SoG_monthly_newsletter_aug_2017.pdf

"Having completed the training of the volunteers and rectified most of the issues with the cabinets, the films will be available to use at the SoG from Saturday 5th August during normal library opening hours and on the usual member or day search visitor conditions. The films are on closed access and will be retrieved by staff and volunteers in the lower library for use on the film readers there.
    Identify the films you want by searching the catalogue on FamilySearch
    https://familysearch.org/catalog/search
    and use the location dropdown menu to check that it’s at the Society of Genealogists.
    Up to four films can be ordered in the library at any one time by using the blue order slips in the lower library. A volunteer will bring the item(s) downstairs for use on the lower library. Films will be collected and returned from the lower library desk.
    We have 10 microfilm readers, 6 of which are motorised with fast forward and rewind along with a self-service printer/scanner. Print-outs from films are 40p per page and anyone wishing to scan an image from the films to a USB drive or take photographs may do so after signing the appropriate release form and on payment of the daily fee of £5."

ADDED: Not sure how the 'and use the location dropdown menu to check that it’s at the Society of Genealogists' works because I can only see US LDS FHS locations and I can't find a way to enter London, England. (Though I admit that I am having computer problems at the moment.) So I'll contact the SoG for clarification on that point.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”