Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by angie72 View Post
    why didn't my grandfather claim it when his father died etc? .. It's a massive puzzle that I hope to find the missing pieces to one day!

Angie
    Whilst I know nothing of the Polish system of inheritance, my understanding of the system in France is that a property will transfer into the ownership of ALL remaining relatives - I'll stand to be corrected.

It then only takes one number of those persons who, for whatever reason, falling out, being cantankerous, etc, and failing to agree with the other co-owners as to its disposal, for it to just sit there decaying.

Hence a reason as to why there are many, what otherwise could be desirable properties, left to go to 'rack and ruin'.

Best wishes with your research.

Ken_R

Found this after a quick search.

http:
    //polishprivatelaw.pl/

polish-law-of-succession-general-information/

HEAVY reading but a couple of bits stand out,
    In the second place – in the absence of the descendants –the surviving spouse and bequeather’s parents inherit, and if one of the parents is not living at the time of opening the estate, then that person’s share of the estate falls to the deceased person’s siblings, or their descendants
    and,

Last of all inherits the municipality of the bequeather’s last place of residence, or the State Treasury (if the last place of residence in the Republic of Poland cannot be established, or if the bequeather had his last place of residence abroad –
    So, if your Grandfather had no siblings, it is possible that the property is now in the ownership of the State Treasury. As to whether such could now be challenged,

However, be aware of,

If no statement of intent is submitted within the prescribed time limit, the heir is deemed to have accepted the inheritance and is liable for debts without any limit.
    Hence, decades of charges and taxes could be 'chargeable' against anyone claiming the Estate.

Angie, I've just noticed that you're a new member. I should have pointed out that while you can't put details about potentially living people on the open forum, you can share it via the PM system (private messaging).

Thanks Ken.. How very kind of you!

That's certainly food for thought.. Since reading your responses we have looked in to things a bit more. It seems that with no surviving family my mother may be entitled to all the royalties from the films that were made by my great grandfather in the 1930s too. We have a friend on the British Arts council for Film who It turns out has an extremely helpful and successful Polish lawyer as a neighbour.. She's going to have a dig around and see what she can find in Warsaw.. It's all happening!

I will keep you posted!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12