Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Willj28 View Post
    I have a subscription to FMP now so I will see what I can find.
    Did you see Ernest's Army Records on FMP?

Also did you notice Harriet's marital status on the 1939 register? I'm not wholly convinced the transcription is correct, maybe D is a misread W, what do you think?

Incidentally, if Muriel is still alive her record on the 1939 should have been redacted
    Alma

Yes I found his records on FMP but i can't seem to find anything else from them. I have viewed the 1939 register and it's a typo I have put a request for it to be changed. As with muriel I'm not sure why she is visible. I found a rather shocking news paper article about Ernest death in 1935 but no joy finding anything from his military days.

Yes I found his records on FMP but i can't seem to find anything else from them.
    Could you read his mother's address, as I couldn't work it out. It says Selby??????
    Alma

janbooth

Could it be 100 Selby St, Hull. There does seem to be a Selby Street in Hull according to Google.

Janet

I think it says Selby also. So I have a link between Smith and wrigglesworth but why was Ernest born a Smith? Is it because they didn't marry until after his birth? On the census he is listed as wrigglesworth, possibly just something they did to fool everyone?

I think it says Selby also. So I have a link between Smith and wrigglesworth but why was Ernest born a Smith? Is it because they didn't marry until after his birth? On the census he is listed as wrigglesworth, possibly just something they did to fool everyone?
    Ernest was born before his mother married. Whether he is William Wrigglesworth's son is debatable, he may not be. On the census where he's with his mother and family he is entered as Wrigglesworth, but that was a common practice - entering children with the same surname as their mother and her husband; some did, others didn't. Also do consider that if the parents couldn't write and therefore relied on someone else to fill out their return, the person entering the details may have assumed Ernest's surname was Wrigglesworth. The census we see has been copied by enumerators from householders census returns, that is apart from the 1911 which is the original as written by the householder.
    Alma

marymog

I have just found a newspaper entry staying. I Ernest Arthur Smith (postman)declare that i will not be responsible for ant debts made by my wife harriet smith from this date june 19th 1924... any ideas why would this be
    looks like they had a judicial separation. Ive seen these sort of adds before. Probably as a matter of course. If they were not judicially separated he would be responsible for her debts, and a piece in the local paper wouldnt help. This sort of separation happened when they couldn't prove misconduct, or one of them had religious reasons not to divorce.

Thank you all for your help, they were still living together in 1935 when ernest committed suicide and harriet describes ernest as her husband in the 1935 news paper colum so really confusing.
    Looks like I've hit another brick wall, now that I have found the like to wrigglesworth and smith ive no way of ever knowing if ernest was williams son.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123