Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frederick peel

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I think.u have just hit the same brick wall as we have. The only reference to Frederick we can see anywhere is for the marriage of Lillian. He is listed as her father.

janbooth

The trouble is that you do not even know if Frederick PEEL is the father of any of the children listed in the 1871 census of Cheriton. The children could just have considered him as their father because he was living with them. Sarah does not seem to be with him in the 1861 census but could this be her in the 1861 census of Westminster St Anne (RG9/176, folio 117, page 28) where a Sarah HUTLEY, aged 21 born Hanstead, Essex, is described as an unmarried general servant living at 13 Leicester Place in the KENT household.

I think you may have to bite the bullet and purchase the birth certificate of one of the HUTLEY children just to see what information it contains and whether it is indeed one of your family.

Henry PEEL is relatively easy to trace in subsequent census records. I cannot find his marriage to Sarah ELCOCK online though, so no further information as to his father.

Janet

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post

However, I cannot find a birth registration for Frederick jnr either under HUTLEY or PEEL.
    This one?

HUTLEY, FRED
    Mmn: HUTLEY
    GRO Reference: 1861 D Quarter in MARYLEBONE Volume 01A Page 407

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Henry married Sarah in 1889 1st quarter in Bromley. I'm gonna post what I've just seen on another site regarding the kids..

have a very complicated web to try and untangle. It relates to my gggrandmother Sarah PEEL who is known to have had 5 children as listed on her death notice here in South Africa. I can find no record of her marriage at all. The only evidence of a PEEL "husband" is on the 1871 census, living in Kent. All the children are listed as PEEL and all later married as PEELs. Sarah and 4 of the children ended up in South Africa.
    I had searched for the birth registration of the children but were not able to find any until I received Sarah's death notice and discovered that her maiden was HUTLEY. 4 of her children were registered as HUTLEY and not PEEL! My ggrandmothers cert said Fred PEEL was the father but then this was crossed out! I now have 3 more of teh Children's certs and the first child (Fred) has Walter Hutley listed as his father. Walter was Sarah's brother and was married at the time! The baptism record also gives Walter as the father. The address given on the baptism cert is the same one that he lived in 1861 and 1871.
    Child no 2 is Arthur - his father is listed as Frederick Robert HUTLEY.
    Child no 3 is Henry- his father is listed as Frederick HUTLEY
    Child no 4 is my ggrandma Lilian - father listed as Frederick PEEL and then crossed out

I can only find one reference to Frederick Peel b Belper in all the census info available.
    In 1861, there was a Robert Peal, born Tweed, living next door to Walter HUTLEY
    I have a copy of a Robert Fred PEEL dying in Kent but this gives no clue to any of the family.

To save face, would she have listed Fred senior as Hutley? Would Walter have stood in as father? What were the regulations governing illegitimate children in the 1860's?

Dundee10

Fred's baptism gives a birthdate of 19 Oct 1861 so Sarah must have already been pregnant when the 1861 census was taken.

Walter HUTLEY and Emma WESTWOOD also had trouble remembering to get married. Their illegitimate daughter Susannah was with the HUTLEYs in 1861.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7FF-G2F

janbooth

How could I have missed Fred HUTLEY! Thanks Dundee. This looks like the HUTLEY family in the 1851 census of Stanstead (HO107/1706, folio 172, pages 26/7):

James HUTLEY Head Mar 43 Gardener Essex Stanstead
    Susan do Wife Mar 47 do do
    Sarah do Daur Un 17 do do
    James do Son 15 Gardener do do
    Henry do Son 13 do do
    Walter do Son 11 Scholar do do
    Matilda do Daur 9 do do do
    Barsillas do Son 7 do do do

Interesting re Susanna WESTWOOD because it looks as if Walter & Emma married in the March qtr 1859 at Bishops Stortford reg district. So the 1861 census record I quote in post 12 above is not your Sarah HUTLEY because she is still living with her parents in Stansted in the 1861 census.

Also interesting that the Robert PEAL living next door to Walter HUTLEY in the 1861 census is a Coachman, the same profession as Frederick PEEL in the 1871 census. Death registration of a Robert Fred PEEL in the March qtr 1876 at Elham reg district (which is the correct district for the parish of Cheriton), aged 45, and there is a Robert PEEL in the 1841 census of Belper, Derbyshire (HO107/180/4, folio 36, page 23). Are things perhaps beginning to hang together??

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi all
    I am currently researching a Lilian Peel, who Married Arthur Edward Middleditch around 1946. They had a son William. Any information please.

I have a document showing she went to Canada to her B/Law Mr Poole.

The marriage was in 1944 and is registered with Edward as the first name and Arthur (middle name) Middleditch.
    We do have to be careful here as this couple may still be living and we are not allowed to post the names of living people.
    I can't find a passenger list record to Canada for Lilian, when does your record say she travelled?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi

it was 1946.

The images are difficult to read. This is her travel document to Canada in 1946. I am sorry but we have to delete them as they are copyright and breach FMP's T and C's. You can type out all the details for Lilian if you like.
    Do you have a travel record for Edward A?

Marriages Sept 1/4 1944

MIDDLEDITCH Edward A spouse Peel Hendon 3a 1647
    PEEL Lilian spouse Middleditch Hendon 3a 1647
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast