Starting to feel at home

Default Alice Evans/Alice Murphy

Hi All,

I am looking to trace Alice Murphy, DOB unknown but abt 1900 +/_ 5yrs. She supposedly married, Thomas Alfred Evans in Bootle, Liverpool around 1923+/- a yr or two. Thomas and Alice had 3 children Thomas Alfred Evans (snr) died 1933 in Bootle. It is believed that Alice Murphy/Evans then married again. I have not been able to find a marriage. Have looked at 1939 registers but found nothing I think may be her? Have found neither of the two children who survived, Thomas Alfred b 1926 and Alice Evans b 1928 in 1939 register either, but in touch with Thomas Alfred Evans (jnr) in London. They know very little about their father's life in Liverpool apart from him running away to sea because his step father beat him!!

Alice Evans, youngest of children has also been elusive but known to attend her brother Thomas Alfred EVans (jnr) in London in 1986. Family have not heard from her since. Alice was born 19 Feb 1928 baptised 4 March 1928.

If anyone can help out at all would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Barbara

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibarb View Post
    She supposedly married, Thomas Alfred Evans in Bootle, Liverpool around 1923+/- a yr or two.
    I haven't been able to find a marriage between Alice MURPHY and Thomas Alfred EVANS but there is this one:

Alice MURPHY m. Edward T EVANS 1923 West Derby Q2 Vol 8B Page 821

West Derby was at that time the registration district covering Bootle.

Could this Edward T EVANS be the Thomas Edward you mention in #14 of your other thread?

Peter

Starting to feel at home

Hi,
    Unfortunately no that is not their marriage. She definately married - or did not marry Thomas Alfred Evans. I guess though it is worth a look at as I have never been able to find a marriage either. Have family asked at Christ Church to see if marriage took place there but nothing found. Thomas Alfred's death cert has Alice as being wife??
    No this is not Thomas Evans I previously enquired about. Same family, would have been his father.
    Thanks.
    Barbara

janbooth

I too cannot find a marriage between a Thomas Alfred EVANS & an Alice MURPHY either - so far. However, his death registration in 1933 shows that he was born c1902 and there is certainly a birth registration of a Thomas Alfred EVANS in the March qtr 1902 at West Derby reg district - not that this gets us much further forward with finding anything out about the subsequent whereabouts of Alice nee MURPHY.

Looking for an Alice MURPHY in the 1901/1911 census records in the West Derby area brings up an Alice MURPHY in the 1901 census of Walton on the Hill, parents John & Martha (RG13/3454, folio 15, page 21). This family have relocated to Bootle in the 1911 census, living at 71 Marsh Lane, and Alice has become Martha Alice MURPHY, aged 14. Whether this has any bearing on your Alice MURPHY is a moot point because I still cannot find a marriage to Thomas Alfred EVANS.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

janbooth

Just found another Alice MURPHY in Bootle in the 1911 census, aged 13, parents John Patrick & Annie MURPHY, living at 26 Seaforth Street, but again no guarantee that this is your Alice.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Janbooth,

Thank you very much for looking at this query. I think now, as I have searched for some time for this marriage that probably they did not marry, unless they married out of the West Derby area? Thomas Alfred's parents, Ellen Carpenter and Edward Evans did not marry till 1907 though their first child was born 1882. So, maybe Alice and Thomas Alfred did not marry, although they had their children baptised at Christ Church. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

Regards
    Barbara

Starting to feel at home

Hi, Thomas was born 3 December 1901 so this would probably account for his birth registration showing 1902.
    I will certainly look at both 1911 Census in case there is something I can pick up. Thank you.