Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Anyone familiar with adoption legalities NSW

My adopted brother died October last year. I have two alias names for him. One I believe is his birth name.
    I currently don't have his personal documents etc. (I believe he took his adoption papers with him).

I gather even after his death, I as next of kin, am not allowed to look into his family tree or as next of kin after his death, does this change?

Dundee10

As a sibling you can request permission to apply for the adoption records and that permission is entirely discretionary by FACS. It is a two step process - you state your case and they decide if you are allowed to apply, then if they approve it you can then formally apply. There are fees involved. The whole process is outlined here:

https://www.community.nsw.gov.au/pare...ns-before-2010

Just remember in your intitial application letter (as outlined in Step 1) to stress that the information is for your own personal use and you will not be sharing it with or contacting third parties.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks Dundee10,

I will look into it because when filling out his Death Certificate information as the Police had 2 possible alias names for him. I included both of them under the alias part and I'm of the believe one of them was his birth name (was told by an ex girlfriend of his that when young she remembers my adopted brother saying, **** ***** was his birth name).

I currently don't have access to my adopted brother's belongings in Katherine NT and his adoption papers could be in amongst them (which if they are, hopefully they might answer some questions so I know that the information I supplied for his Death Cert is accurate) as I believe he took them with him, when he left.