Thread: Occupation

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Occupation

This is part of my project investigation the convicts shipped on the Mangles in 1832, but as it is not about convict records I set up a new thread here. The Convict thread is https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-of-Mangles-(6)

ARCHIBALD KNOX was a 29 year old soldier from Glasgow who was convicted of stealing a box in Demerara, Guyana and sentenced there to 14 years transportation. He was sent to the prison hulks at Woolwich and from there to New South Wales.

I have three questions that I am hoping those with military knowledge might be able to help with:

1. What was Britain doing in Guyana in 1832?
    2. Are there any surviving military records for Knox?
    3. The Convict Indents give his occupation as "Soldier, calendar"; see below. If this isn't an error on the part of the person writing up the indents, does anyone know what a "calendar" is in this context?

Thanks for any help.

Famous for offering help & advice

a very quick reading of wikipedia tells me that British Guyana formerly came into existence in 1831 and that from before that date we were in dispute with Venezuela as to exactly where the border with it should lie - not finally resolved until 1850. Guyana was British until 1966.

..... if that helps with your question 1.

Reputation beyond repute

OED - probably available through your library service.

Calender -
    1. One who calenders cloth
    2. A machine in which cloth, paper, etc., is pressed under rollers for the purpose of smoothing or glazing; also for watering or giving a wavy appearance, etc.

Reputation beyond repute

2. Are there any surviving military records for Knox?
    Pay and muster lists. perhaps.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...sts-1730-1898/