Starting to feel at home

Default HAROLD EVELYN HOLDING,b.c.1878/d.1945-of Lanc

Seek info--esp. from direct descendants of Rev. John HOLDING's son Harold Evelyn Holding, b.c.1878, in Ince, Lancashire, died 1945 in a motor accident.He was a solicitor & British Olympian, running in the 1908 Summer Olympics, of London. He had married in 1917/8 a Miss Evelyn McLuren. I wish to know IF they had any children in their 8 yr. marriage. I believe there May have been a son or two---1 possibly named Ernest Holding, for his father Harold's brother. And possibly a John A Holding. Found these names, & correct Lancs. area of birth, w/ yrs. between 1919-1924, but no parents' names listed.

If anyone has info, or even better, pix, would love to talk w/ you. I'm tracing (hopefully) down, from Rev. John Holding b.c 1840, d. 1903/4 (d. in Stotfold, Beds.) who wrote the definitive manuscript, "Spencers of Bedford-shire", in 1901, on my line of Spencers. Trying to make connections w/ his Holding descendants today.

IF Ernest, a possible son IS Rev.John's issue, then he had a son Ernest who has a son Alan, b. 1979 still living today, that I will contact, but need more "proof" that this is actually True!

Thanks for any/all help offered!

Take Care,

Vienna (Spencer)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

According to Wiki, Harold died 20 July 1925

Grant of Probate was to Frank Gibbs RYE, Arthur Lockyer RYE & Thomas henry JESSUP solicitors
    His estate was valued at £18932 12s

His wife Evelyn Mary Holding also died on the same day, she is described as the wife of Harold, probate was granted to Arthur Lockyer RYE solicitor
    Her estate was valued at £414 7s 1d

Mrs Holding died first hence the desc as wife of

Rugby Advertiser 24 July 1925 ( this is on the site Findmypast which is a subscription also a paygo site)

carries a picture and full inquest of the accident, it also states that the couple did not have any children

Hi
    There are no births 1917-1930 for Holding mother's maiden name Mcluren/Macluren/Maccluren/McCluren on FreeBMD.
    The marriage registration on FreeBMD has Evelyn's surname as Maclurcan/MacLuroan. No births found using those as mmn either
    Christina

Added: You sorted it genieus
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Default Re: HAROLD EVELYN HOLDING

Thank you, GENE-ius!! Am soooo sad they Both died in that accident, & esp. that they had no children...but now I know. Thank you again, for your help. Great you have access to that paid site---I saw about the accident on British Newspaper Archives, but don't have access to that one,either (no funds at the moment)--so appreciate you're telling me of the tragic results of that horrific accident.

Take Care,

Vienna (Spencer)

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christanel--- thanks also to you for seeing that No births were listed to Evelyn that showed her maiden name. I saw several using the surname Holding as the mom's last name (which of course it would have been After she was married), but the records at FamilySearch.org did not include her maiden name, so no way to be sure if they were Her children or another woman who also had become a Holding, so thank you for sorting me out!

Vienna

SueNSW

An interesting subject - sorry you haven't got the answers you were hoping for.

Just a tip if you're looking for a free site to check births, marriages and deaths in England and Wales - have a look at the volunteer transcribed site https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

From the Sep quarter of 1911 mother's maiden names are recorded

There is a sister site https://www.freereg.org.uk/ for Parish Register transcriptions - including Scotland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man

Starting to feel at home

Default Re: Free BMD Sites

Thanks so much for the Free site info....

Take Care,

Vienna

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have noted that you added the county Lancashire to the header, is this your area of research as there are quite a few free sites for the county.

Starting to feel at home

Default NO CONNECTION FOR ME 2 LANCASHIRE!! : )

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    I have noted that you added the county Lancashire to the header, is this your area of research as there are quite a few free sites for the county.
    Hi Gene-ius!

No just a big co-incidence that the last few things I was investigating Happened to All be IN or From Lancashire....I am in Redondo Beach, in Calif., but I have 50% British heritage, & many I do research for, have the same!

Thanks for asking. Yes I am aware of a number of the Free sites, but hadn't found the answers I sought on those, but I do check them. I am grateful for the paid site you all checked that stated about the auto-accident, which I couldn't access, & bsadly gave me the answer I sought, although Not the one I wanted--i.e.-that he & his wife had no children. So THAT ends That!

Now back to tracing down more thoroughly from his other brothers, although They ALL Died young, 1 w/in 6mos of marriage (although Could have been a posthumous birth, if his wife didn't Also die as well in The Siege of Kimberly, during the 2nd Boer War, was He did). His other brother died in Madeira, Portugal, in his 20's (was a Wine Merchant for his Grandpa's biz), maybe from a virus or bacterial infection (no anti-vitals/antibiotics in those days)!!Another died 1yr.after his marriage--no kids found, so far. Another died in his teens. And so forth, so sad.

Oh well, the CHASE calls, so I must carry-on! Thanks for all your help, advice, etc.!

Take Care,

Vienna (Spencer)