Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

OOps operating on a tablet not very successfully.

Familysearch.org ( Latter Day Saints LDS) are the business who for 40 odd years have been micro filming /digitalizing our parish records which they have made freely available. The process is not 'doing' one parish from start to end but selected re4cords so that all get some record on line. Needless to say this is an ongoing process. The films used are held in the Record Offices. I have been in Chester when they have been 'doing it'!

For me this is the get out and about to see what records are available pre 1841 and later others with the same hobby, you invariable chat to the person using the machine next to you even if to ask for help in changing the film.

This is a different world to sitting at your computer running through the years, this is the slog and learning more besides.

https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Good Hunting

Jean

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

The best place to go for look ups. is OxFHS. This will cost you a nominal payment. Or, you could purchase a Parish Reg CD, which includes Hailey.
    If your relatives are pretty much in Oxfordshire....then that will be your best bet.

Some PR's will sometimes give a date of birth at Baptism, but it's not always the case. Other details will also be included, in marriages(witnesses/and/or of the parish) and burials,(wife of, son of, husband of, and where from), which you will not get with transcripts,(generally).

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Reputation beyond repute

Once again on FamilySearch. When the Bishop of Oxford found out what the Mormons were up to, he sent them packing. Quite frankly. I'm surprised this didn't happen in a lot of places. However, what it boils down to is that the Mormons do not have a good collection of Oxfordshire records.

If I were you, I'd get the high speed train to London and spend a day at the Society of Genealogists library. They have a splendid collection of Oxfordshire records. I've spent many pleasant hours there myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12