Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question No trace of my Grandfather WW2

I'm having great difficulty tracing my grandfather sadly. He was in the RASC during WW2, the last he was heard of was in 1942 in North Africa, I have copies of letters he sent to his wife which had his address and service number on which was RASC Motor Section, 10th Corps, H.Q. Middle East Force - Service number T/119244. The letters that were sent to him started being sent back around May 1942 saying "untraceable, not at address stated." My family tried to find him during that time and after the war but with no luck, there was talk of him having shell shock and that he deserted, but there is no record of this that I can find. I have tried all the usual sites, like War Forces Records and all the genealogy sites. The MOD cannot find any trace of him! There must be somewhere he's listed, his name was Henry Edwin Hards, born in 1916. I know he existed, I'm here because of him!! Any help would be most appreciated, thank you in anticipation.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    As you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.

I see from other posts and other forums over the years that you actually did apply to the MoD for your grandfather's service record and they say there aren't any.
    So why does a man say he is serving in the British Forces and set up a forwarding address to cover his tracks.
    In which country was the forwarding address?
    I wonder if the service number is one belonging to someone he knew? Are there any photos of him in uniform?
    I will take a look around. Others will have some ideas I'm sure.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

On the UK Outward Passenger List on ancestry a Mr H E Hards age 31, a clerical worker, with a Mrs. G M Hards and a Miss V C Hards age 4 of 47 Thurliegh Road Clapham SW12 departed from the port of London on 29 Jan 1948. destination Australia.
    There is a birth registration for a Vicki C Hards in the March 1/4 1943 registration district Surrey N W mother's maiden name Dann. There is a marriage of an Harold E Hards to Genevieve M Dann in 1940. So this is not your Henry Edwin and can be disregarded by those trying to help.
    Christina

William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christina, thanks for your reply. I have pictures of him in uniform, I'm pretty sure the details are correct, if I search for just his service number, nothing comes up at all so I don't think it's someone else's. He did come home during the war on leave at first and my grandmother (sadly now has passed) verified that he had shell shock and apparently his brother "bumped" into him in North Africa whilst he was there as well, so the family story goes. I also have a letter from a friend of his saying that he had once gone awol and was bought back to his unit by Mp's (or whatever they were called back then), in the letter he did state that he was just allowed to mix back with his unit rather than be obtained, which was a little odd to him at the time. Not sure if any of this is useful information but I'm very grateful for any help. Thank you

Reputation beyond repute

if I search for just his service number, nothing comes up at all
    Why should anything come up?

What information did you supply to MoD? Remember, less can be more! I wonder what would happen if you just supplied his name and full date of birth.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I filled in a form for the MOD and paid the £30 etc. It was pretty much filling out the form with the details they asked for. I didn't go into much detail from what I remember, I did give his name and date of birth and service number, I would imagine they would do a search based on name and d.o.b more than anything. They did say that it would be easier if I had a death certificate, but of course I can't supply that because as far as I can see there isn't one on record.

Reputation beyond repute

I would imagine they would do a search based on name and d.o.b more than anything.
    But we don't know what they do.

His birth is more than 100 years ago so they shouldn't need his death certificate.

What is his date of birth?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

His date of birth is 26/02/1916, Father is Edwin Hards and mother Maude Elizabeth Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mannmec1 View Post
    if I search for just his service number, nothing comes up at all Thank you
    You won't find any WW11 service records online or information relating to individual records (unless provided by the soldier or their family from the original records) The Mod still holds them.
    As Peter suggests sometimes less information can get a better result so when filling out the application form don't give a regiment or number, just give the personal details.
    Unfortunately, whatever the outcome, the MoD will keep your 30 pounds.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

How good was his handwriting? Is there any chance that his number has been slightly mis-transcribed? For example, 1 and 7 can look very alike...