Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    keith.robinson

And just to add that Acton Street has sometime in the past changed it's name to Arbutus Street. It still exists but sadly modern on one side and cut in half by Stonebridge Gardens, which is now a park.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Keith Thank you so much for this I did find a really good site that shows what streets have changed too. I tried searching another street in ancestry but what came up was nothing like I was looking for I didn't want to put in a name as this family are very elusive and think a "trawl" is on the cards

Reputation beyond repute

I tried searching another street in ancestry but what came up was nothing like I was looking for.
    Don't forget that on Ancestry, out of the 1841-1901 census sets, you can only use the address search trick on the 1881. This is because Ancestry didn't transcribe the address - or, come to that, the occupation. The 1881 index/transcription is complete but wasn't done by Ancestry.

On FMP. the index should be free to search - sometimes that can help in locating an elusive address.

Otherwise, the 1871 or 1891 census may provide valuable clues. Landmarks such as pubs are particularly useful.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    It doesn't help with the current query, but there are census street indexes for some urban areas on an archived section of the National Archives site:

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...oject#Browsing

The reason it doesn't help here is that it covers the years 1841-1891 except for 1881. And being an archived site, it won't be developed further.
    agreed that link clearly omits 1881 and yet I can find this

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...reet_Index_A-B

I reached that page from this page

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...ial:Categories

Reputation beyond repute

agreed that link clearly omits 1881 and yet I can find this
    An interesting find, even though it's nowhere near all the districts that should be there. Worth bookmarking!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Don't forget that on Ancestry, out of the 1841-1901 census sets, you can only use the address search trick on the 1881. This is because Ancestry didn't transcribe the address - or, come to that, the occupation. The 1881 index/transcription is complete but wasn't done by Ancestry.

On FMP. the index should be free to search - sometimes that can help in locating an elusive address.

Otherwise, the 1871 or 1891 census may provide valuable clues. Landmarks such as pubs are particularly useful.
    Hi thanks for this I luckily have a copy of a street directly for London so will try this. I could if necessary go to Worcester archives and use FMP free to search which isn't too far away always an option to try I tried the occupation one in the hope that the first names only too might throw something up but nothing as yet Electoral registers for the area have given several address around 1880-1881 time for the name I am interested in and because it says where the person lived previously can be useful . Thank you so much for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12