Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default finding an address in 1881 census

I am trying to find a specific address in London Hackney st John 1881 am I right or wrong in assuming at the front of the census book all streets are specified or are some not written down for whatever reason. Should I be looking through all the census books until I find it?

If you post the name of the street someone may be able to spot it for you.

Emeltee

Thanks I was hoping to try to find it myself without bothering people but it is 39 Acton Street st John at Hackney so appreciate your advice

RG11/295/F3A/p4

39 Acton Street Hackney

John Poole Head 31 Dining Table Maker Bethnal Green
    Elizabeth Poole wife 27 Grocer Hoxton
    Elizabeth N Poole dau 2 Bethnal Green
    Elizabethj Cray 14 Gen. Dom Servant St Lukes
    John Wright 23 Boarder Cabinet Maker Bethnal Green

Emeltee

If you have access to findmypast, you can search the 1881 census by entering the house number, street and town. You should get a whole page of results, of which one is No. 39.

Peter

Thanks emeltee, you beat me to it!
    Last edited by elsinore; 12-05-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Too slow

Hi All
    Fantastic thank you unfortunately I am subscribed to ancestry but will look at this one oh yes I am chasing John Eustace again!!!!!

Famous for offering help & advice

It doesn't help with the current query, but there are census street indexes for some urban areas on an archived section of the National Archives site:

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...oject#Browsing

The reason it doesn't help here is that it covers the years 1841-1891 except for 1881. And being an archived site, it won't be developed further.

Reputation beyond repute

unfortunately I am subscribed to ancestry
    Don't despair! The transcription is there on Ancestry but they have a rotten search form.

Make sure you're on the search page headed "1881 England Census". Enter in the keywords field:
    "39 Acton St" "st john" hackney
    and tick Exact. Also enter Head as the Relationship (this is just to cut down the size of the results list). Leave the rest of the form blank.

Hit Search.

Reputation beyond repute

By the way. the reason the volunteers didn't bother with transcribing the 1881 street index was because the 1881 census had already been fully transcribed and should therefore be searchable by address. Why Ancestry don't make it easy is beyond me.

Another thing, I don't believe FMP should be charging you to read the full transcription of the 1881 census.If they are, I would complain. They are probably entitled to charge for the image but not the transcription.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Don't despair! The transcription is there on Ancestry but they have a rotten search form.

Make sure you're on the search page headed "1881 England Census". Enter in the keywords field:
    "39 Acton St" "st john" hackney
    and tick Exact. Also enter Head as the Relationship (this is just to cut down the size of the results list). Leave the rest of the form blank.

Hit Search.
    That's the way I search Ancestry, too. If I don't get a result I Google for example "1871 census reference Acton Street, Hackney", this often throws up results presenting either the reference, or a family name who lived in the street, if a family name you can then search for them and work backwards or forwards for the street number you are looking for.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast